Kerala nun’s death: Narco analysis CD given to courtJuly 23rd, 2008 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, July 23 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Wednesday handed over to trhe Kerala High Court the CD of narco-analysis tests of two priests and a nun in connection with the mysterious death of Sister Abhaya in 1992. Justice V. Ramkumar asked the CBI on JUly 14 to bring the CD on or before July 24.
Justice Ramkumar gave the directions to the CBI after the investigating agency, in a sealed cover, handed over the progress-report in the case to the court.
The court will hear the case Thursday and reports indicate that the investigation is almost over. The CBI has identified the culprits and is now in the process of tying the loose ends before they arrest the culprits.
Sister Abhaya, a resident of Pious X Hostel near here, was found dead in the well of the convent March 27, 1992.
The CBI concluded in November 1996 that the death was a homicide but the murderer remained untraced. The Kerala police earlier dismissed the case as suicide.
Three previous CBI teams have failed to crack the mystery behind Abhaya’s death.
A new team was appointed June last year after Joe Mon Puthenpurackal, a social activist who formed the Abhaya Action Committee in 1992, met the CBI director and demanded a fresh probe.
The 16-year-old case came back into the limelight in April last year after a newspaper reported that Abhaya’s medical reports had been tampered with at the Chemical Examiners Laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram.
Two officials of the laboratory, suspected of having tampered with the report, are currently on bail.
The case has seen several ups and downs. A few days back, the CBI suddenly transferred R.M. Krishna, the team leader who had done the narco-analysis test of the two priests and the nun in Bangalore last year.
The new official, R.S. Punia, who replaced Krishna, has already taken over the investigation.
- Kerala nun's death: CBI officer to appear before court - Aug 05, 2008
- Nun’s murder: Kerala court seeks CD of narco analysis - Jul 14, 2008
- Kerala nun's death: Court unhappy with narco analysis CD - Aug 04, 2008
- You are wrong, court tells CBI in nun's death - Aug 26, 2008
- CBI says CD linked to nun's death tampered - Sep 01, 2008
- Evidence not enough to nail accused in nun's murder: CBI - Aug 19, 2008
- Supreme Court judge's name crops up in Kerala nun's murder hearing - Aug 10, 2009
- Lawyers' association seeks inquiry against apex court judge - Aug 28, 2009
- Two lab officials to be charged in Kerala's Abhaya case - May 31, 2011
- Probe role of apex court judge, appeals Sister Abhaya's father - Oct 23, 2009
- Court wants unedited video of narco tests in Kerala nun murder - Jun 25, 2009
- Court rejects CBI plea for narco test on Jagan aide - Feb 02, 2012
- Police find nun's body in her convent's tank (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- CBI to conduct narco test on witnesses in Abhaya case - Jun 24, 2009
- Court dismisses CBI plea for Jagan's narco test (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012