Kerala Muslim university students to get Egyptian degreesMarch 24th, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, March 24 (IANS) Students of certain colleges of Jamia Markazu, a Muslim university in Kerala, will soon get degrees on par with those of Egypt’s Al-Azhar University, officials said here Monday. The formal announcement to this effect would be made Friday at the International Milad Meet to be held in Kozhikode, Kanthapuram A.P. Aboobacker Musaliyar, the brain behind Jamia Markazu, told reporters. Jamia Markazu is based in Kozhikode.
“Our university got the affiliation with Al-Azhar, Egypt, a decade ago and this new recognition would be initially for three of our colleges that conduct courses in Arabic and Islam. From now on, all students who pass out from these three colleges would have a degree that would be equivalent to those of students who pass out from Al-Azhar (in Cairo),” said Musaliyar.
Musaliyar, a Sunni Muslim leader, has taken several charity initiatives.
- India's biggest mosque to come up in Kozhikode - Feb 10, 2011
- Model of India's biggest mosque unveiled - Jan 30, 2012
- Those involved in terror misinterpret Islam: Egyptian grand mufti - Jan 12, 2011
- Large Muslim congregation to take pledge against terrorism - Sep 03, 2010
- Muslims to take pledge against terrorism (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- 17 years on, one convicted in Muslim cleric's murder - Sep 29, 2010
- Egypt sets up committee to re-check Mubarak's health - May 20, 2011
- Malaysia gets its first Imam via 'X-Factor' inspired reality show - Jul 31, 2010
- Women-driven taxis are popular in Middle East - Mar 29, 2010
- Egyptian cleric issues fatwa forbidding Muslims from Facebook - Feb 05, 2010
- Setting up new Nalanda a challenging task: Amartya Sen - Jan 04, 2011
- Jamia to build hostel for Kashmiri students - Feb 09, 2012
- Michael Nazir-Ali says burkas should not be worn where it compromises on safety - Jul 18, 2010
- Madrassas help students make sense of the world (Comment) - Apr 20, 2012
- Lyricist Javed Akhtar gets e-mail threat for criticizing Deoband fatwa - May 15, 2010