Kerala mulls jail term for drunken drivingDecember 16th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 16 (IANS) Kerala Transport Minister Mathew T. Thomas Tuesday said here that the state government will soon bring new laws to see that anyone caught driving under the influence of alcohol will have to undergo a jail term. Thomas made the announcement at a gathering of college student. Later, he told IANS that the state cabinet meeting scheduled for Wednesday will discuss this issue.
“We have decided that there can be no leniency in curbing irresponsible driving under the influence of alcohol. To bring this into effect, we will approach the centre because the Motor Vehicle Act is a central one. With the concurrence of the centre, the state can make amendments and we will do it to include a jail term for those caught drunk and driving,” he said.
“Apart from the proposed jail term, we are also going to raise all the fines to be collected by the Motor Vehicles department. Drunken driving just cannot be accepted in the wake of numerous accidents being reported,” he added.
Last fiscal, Kerala State Beverages Corp (KSBC), the sole wholesaler of liquor and beer in the state, reported a record sale of both at Rs.36.67 billion, up from Rs.31.43 billion in 2006-07.
- Delhi Police anti-drinking drive to continue after Holi - Mar 05, 2012
- We'll soon free city of dangerous drivers: Delhi Police - Mar 22, 2012
- Delhi Police warns against drunk driving on Holi - Mar 04, 2012
- Drunk drivers in Maharashtra could lose licence forever - Jan 15, 2011
- Drunk rail passengers to face action in Kerala - Feb 24, 2012
- Traffic penalties to increase manifold - Mar 01, 2012
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- Holi revellers warned against breaking traffic rules - Mar 19, 2011
- Pay more for liquor, Kerala government told - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi Police beefs up security ahead of New Year celebrations - Dec 31, 2010
- Kerala expects Rs.2 bn liquor sales during Onam season - Sep 08, 2008
- Lohan thinks Bynes should be punished - Sep 18, 2012
- Talking while driving? It may cost you a small fortune (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Economic crisis takes toll on Kerala liquor sales - Dec 10, 2008
- Talking while driving? Beware of huge fines and jail (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012