Kerala ministers stage protest in Delhi, opposition back homeOctober 17th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 17 (IANS) Even as Kerala ministers staged a sit in Friday in front of the Indian parliament to protest against the economic policies of the Manmohan Singh government, leader of Opposition Oommen Chandy led a similar protest in front of the state secretariat against the “poor governance” of the state government.While Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan said what Chandy and his men were doing was “shameful”, Chandy said while inaugurating the sit in that what Achuthanandan was doing in New Delhi “will show Kerala and its citizens in poor light”.
The Congress alleged close to Rs.30 million has been spent by Achuthanandan to stage the protest in New Delhi. The chief minister said that Chandy “goes around the state and speaks against the government using government money”.
Achuthanandan and his cabinet has been saying that the Manmohan Singh government despite several requests is not taking favourable actions to mitigate the issues of Kerala.
The state government has said that the central government has cut the supply of ration to the above poverty line category drastically and also reduced the supply of electricity from the central pool.
Another issue that they have raised is the request for an Indian Institute of Technology in the state.
State secretary of the Communist Party of India Marxist Pinarayi Vijayan lashed out at the opposition and said that they too should have joined the team led by Achuthanandan and should have expressed their feelings in New Delhi.
“They have no guts to express their feelings in Delhi and instead they are joining hands with the central government to make life miserable for people here,” said Vijayan while inaugurating a sit in of Left activists in front of the Kerala governor’s residence here.
Chandy, however, said the “drama being enacted in Delhi is to cover up the state government’s lack of effective governance”.
“You should know that when they say the central government has cut the ration, they have actually sold rice that has to be given for free and what they are doing in Delhi is a blot on Kerala,” said Chandy.
- Chandy pats himself after one year, critics fume (One year of Oommen Chandy) - May 17, 2012
- Chandy expects Left's cooperation at 'Emerging Kerala' meet - Sep 10, 2012
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Kerala cabinet holds anti-centre agitation in Delhi (Lead) - Oct 17, 2008
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012
- Chandy, Achuthanandan wrangle over investors meet - Sep 06, 2012
- Crack of dawn start for Chandy, ministers - Aug 22, 2012
- Neyattinkara by-poll crucial for Kerala parties (Kerala Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Kerala lashes out at Rawal remarks on firing from ship - Apr 21, 2012
- Achuthanandan's candidature in state unit's hands - Mar 05, 2011
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Don't give Microsoft back-door entry, warns Achuthanandan - Jul 04, 2012
- Achuthanandan offers to quit over land scam, party says no - Jan 13, 2012
- Chandy seeks removal of Raval in Italian Marines case (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012