Kerala Marxist leader Vijayan gets reprieve in wealth caseJuly 28th, 2008 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, July 28 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Kerala unit secretary Pinarayi Vijayan got a reprieve Monday when the state high court was told that there was no company by the name of Kamala Exports International in Singapore, alleged to be owned by the Marxist leader. Assistant Solicitor General of India V. Parameswaran Nair gave this information to the Kerala High Court after the editor of an eveninger filed a case in the court alleging that Vijayan possesses huge wealth and has set up a company, Kamala Exports International in Singapore. Kamala is the name of Vijayan’s wife.
The editor alleged that Vijayan had received huge amounts as commission when he gave a contract to a Canadian firm, SNC Lavlin, for modernisation of hydro-electric plants when he was the electricity minister in 1997.
The complainant also alleged that Education Minister M.A. Baby had acquired huge wealth by being at the helm of a music promotion society. Nair told the court the director general of Income Tax in Delhi was looking into this allegation.
Nair fieldf the affidavit after the central government conducted investigations in Singapore and found that no such company exists.
This development appears to have come as a blessing for Vijayan, who is already facing a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the SNC Lavlin case. Vijayan was interrogated by the CBI sleuths in Chennai a few weeks ago in connection with the case.
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- Reprieve for Vijayan in SNC Lavalin case - Apr 17, 2010
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- Vijayan skips court, counsel wants Antony examined - Sep 24, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Apex court seeks report on plaint against Balakrishnan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- CBI asks Pinarayi Vijayan to appear in court Sept 24 - Aug 21, 2009
- Allegation of Cabinet notes of Kerala Government shared with party - Sep 12, 2009
- Embarrassed CPI-M leadership keeps mum over corruption case - Jan 22, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notices to CBI, Kerala Govt on Vijayan case - Aug 31, 2009
- Antony not to be witness in Lavalin graft case: court - Jan 04, 2010
- SNC Lavalin graft case: Kerala Governor sanctions CBI probe of Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan gets bail in SNC Lavalin graft case - Dec 30, 2009