Kerala man serious after assault in MelbourneOctober 13th, 2008 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne/Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 13 (IANS) An Indian from Kerala was seriously injured when he was attacked by a group of suspected drug addicts in Melbourne while returning home from work Sunday night, a spokesperson of the Indian consulate said.Biju K. Joseph, who hails from Alappuzha in Kerala, had to be operated for head injuries at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and is now in the intensive care unit.
“We have been in touch with the victim, Biju K. Joseph, who was attacked Sunday night near his house in the Albion suburb,” according to a spokesperson of the Indian Consulate in Melbourne.
“He sustained head injuries and has undergone surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. The doctors say his condition is stable.
“Joseph is here on a spouse dependent visa and his wife is on a student visa and enrolled in a course in community welfare programme,” the spokesperson said.
Thiruvallam Bhasi, an associate of Joseph, told IANS in Thiruvananthapuram over phone from Melbourne: “Joseph was returning after work last night and had got out from the St.Albunce Railway Station. He was heading towards his home in Melbourne when a group of four people attacked him. He was seriously hurt and is now in the intensive care unit at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.”
Bhasi edits two monthly magazines in Melbourne and is vice-president of the World Malayalee Council in Melbourne.
The Council has complained to the Indian consulate general in Melbourne.
“Anita Nair, the consul general, is seized of the increasing attacks on the Indian student community and is visiting Joseph tomorrow (Tuesday) in the hospital. The attacks have increased and they are all by drug addicts. Two months back another Keralite was badly injured by such people,” added Bhasi.
Joseph’s wife Suma Biju is a nurse who was working in the Middle East before she arrived in Melbourne three months back. While Suma was studying, Joseph was engaged in part time work.
- Indian doctor robbed at knife point in Melbourne - Feb 22, 2010
- Kerala scribe gets award in Australia - May 03, 2010
- 30,000 Indian students have left Australia: Student federation - Nov 27, 2010
- Assaulted Kerala man in Melbourne stable but unable to speak - Oct 14, 2008
- Melbourne Malayalis donate blood for Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- Keralites hapless, angry over yet another shutdown - Sep 19, 2011
- Kerala nursing students in Melbourne to protest new rules - Aug 10, 2010
- Enthusiastic voting in Kerala elections (Third Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- UAE keen to open consulate in Kerala - Jul 18, 2011
- Polling ends peacefully in Kerala, over 73 percent turnout - Apr 13, 2011
- Polling ends in Kerala, over 74 percent turnout (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Nearly 50 percent turnout in Kerala till 1 p.m. (Fourth Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- UAE to set up consulate in Thiruvananthapuram - May 17, 2012
- Millions vote for new assembly in Kerala, Tamil Nadu (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012