Kerala forests suspected to shelter Maoists: PoliceMay 2nd, 2012 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Alappuzha (Kerala), May 2 (IANS) Police suspect the presence of Maoists in the forests across Kerala but is unsure of their activities, a top police officer said here Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters, Director General of Police Jacob Punnoose said that suspected Maoists from states such as Jharkhand, Orissa and Chhattisgarh, have been visiting the forests in Kerala, however any anti-national activity undertaken by them here needs to be further corroborated with evidence.
“We have found that people from these states are visiting various forests in the state, but at the moment we do not have any evidence that they are indulged in anti-national activities. However police have doubts. One reason for their presence in Kerala could be that they are hiding here to avoid arrests in their states,” said Punnoose.
According to police, people from the three states are frequenting the forested areas along the border with Tamil Nadu, especially in Idukki and Palakkad districts.
The forest cover of Kerala is 17,324 sq. km and constitutes 44.58 percent of the total geographical area of the state. Of this, 1,443 sq. km is covered by dense forests.
- Clashes at Kerala-Tamil Nadu border post over Mullaperiyar - Dec 06, 2011
- Chandy hopes Mullaperiyar issue will be amicably resolved - Dec 12, 2011
- India's 38th tiger reserve opens (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Maoists run for cover in their safest zone in Chhattisgarh - Mar 20, 2012
- Bombs found in Chhattisgarh's Maoist heartland - Jan 01, 2012
- Kerala's only tribal village under threat - Apr 18, 2012
- Abducted Italians were cautioned by police: Indian CG - Mar 22, 2012
- Kerala again speaks of new Mullaperiyar dam - Jan 03, 2012
- Ramesh inaugurates Kerala's second tiger reserve - Feb 19, 2010
- Kerala CPI-M leader charged with murder, conspiracy - May 28, 2012
- Tourism at Odisha sanctuary falls prey to Maoists - May 11, 2012
- Five Maoists involved in cop massacre held in Jharkhand - Feb 29, 2012
- Maoists kill forest official in Chhattisgarh - Mar 22, 2011
- Forest official killed by Maoists in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Forest official killed by Maoists in Chhattisgarh (Third Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: chhattisgarh, dense forests, director general, doubts, forest cover, forested areas, geographical area, jacob, jharkhand, kerala, maoists, orissa, palakkad, police officer, presence, three states