Kerala expresses solidarity with Beijing OlympicsApril 17th, 2008 - 9:50 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, April 17 (IANS) The Kerala government expressed its solidarity with the Beijing Olympics Thursday by holding a state-wide gathering of eminent sports personalities here while a small group of people under the banner of “Friends of Tibet” held a peaceful protest demonstration at Kochi. The Olympic torch arrived in the country Thursday morning amid protests by the Tibetans in New Delhi.
Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan read out a pledge in support of the Olympics at the meeting, arranged by the Kerala State Sports Council.
Achuthanandan took the opportunity to lash out at the Dalai Lama, who, according to him, was trying to create troubles.
Meanwhile at Kochi, close to a hundred people held a peaceful protest meeting.
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Fast, prayers mark Tibetan New Year festival (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Nepal braces for Dalai Lama's birthday celebrations - Jul 02, 2011
- Protests, prayers mark Hu visit - Mar 28, 2012
- Dalai Lama to attend prayers for peace in Tibet - Oct 17, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Refrain from self-immolation, Tibetian government-in-exile appeals - Sep 02, 2012
- Dalai Lama finally relinquishes political powers (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Refrain from drastic action, Tibetans told - Mar 27, 2012
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China - Aug 08, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Tibetan who died to be cremated in Dharamsala - Mar 29, 2012
- Anti-China protest by Tibetans stopped - Mar 10, 2012
- Dalai Lama blames Beijing for self-immolations - Apr 21, 2012