Kerala expects Rs.2 bn liquor sales during Onam seasonSeptember 8th, 2008 - 4:07 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 8 (IANS) Liquor shops in Kerala are well-stocked for the ongoing Onam season and alcohol sales are expected to touch Rs.2 billion (Rs.200 crore) during the 10-day festival.The Kerala State Beverages Corporation (KSBC), the sole wholesalers of Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) and beer in the state, said there has already been an increase in liquor sales since Sunday.
“Last season in 2007, the 10-day Onam sales were Rs.144.48 crore (over Rs.1.4 billion), with the biggest sale coming on the day before Thiru Onam of Rs.17.93 crore. This season, the first day sale in the 10-day Onam season that began Sunday has seen a 25 percent increase as compared to the first day sale last year,” a KSBC official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
While the 10-day festival began in the state Tuesday, the KSBC estimates their sales differently. For the KSBC, the 10-day period comprises five days prior to Onam, three days during the Onam and two days after Onam. This year Thiru Onam falls Sep 12 (Friday).
The KSBC in the last fiscal saw a record high sale of both IMFL and beer, touching Rs.36.67 billion, up from Rs.31.43 billion during 2006-07.
- Kerala expects Rs.200 crore liquor sales during Onam - Aug 21, 2009
- Alcohol worth Rs.34 crore sold in a single day in Kerala - Sep 01, 2009
- Rum gives Kerala a high as state coffers swell - Aug 24, 2010
- Kerala government says no to new liquor vends - May 27, 2011
- Chandy asks liquor firms not to stop supplies - Aug 24, 2011
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
- Rs.70 crore liquor sold on Onam days - Aug 30, 2012
- Liquor sales up; Keralites in party mood for Christmas! - Dec 22, 2009
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- Pay more for liquor, Kerala government told - Apr 17, 2012
- Liquor prices to go up by 6 per cent in Kerala from Aug 1 - Jul 30, 2012
- Liquor sales in Kerala reach 'dizzy heights' - Apr 16, 2011