Kerala EC wants photo-ID cards for local polls tooMay 14th, 2012 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 14 (IANS) The Kerala State Election Commission (SEC) Monday decided to request the state government to amend the laws and make photo-ID cards mandatory for the electorate in the local bodies polls.
Speaking to IANS, an official attached to the state election commission said the panel would ask the state government to amend the Kerala Panchayat Raj Act and the Kerala Municipalities Act to enforce photo-ID rule.
“The other change that will be made is that currently a violation in the model code of conduct does not have a legal back-up and hence the violators escape from the clutches of law. It has been decided to make changes to this, and similar to the action taken in assembly and parliament elections, any violation (in local bodies polls) will invite initiating of legal action,” said the official, who did not wish to be identified.
Until now, people could establish their identity and cast their votes in local bodies polls using ration cards, bank pass-books, driving licences besides the photo-ID cards issued by the election commission, which are used in assembly and parliament elections.
Kerala has a three-tier structure for the local bodies and around 22,000 seats to which elections are held.
The commission also decided to ensure that electronic voting machines would used in as many booths as possible.
The state panel’s recommendations will now be forwarded to the state government who will put this up before the Kerala assembly. As and when the act is amended, it would become a law.
- Poll panel's tableau - first in Republic Day parade history - Jan 26, 2012
- Poll panel showcases ballot power in R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Poll panel orders watch on former Punjab cop's activities - Nov 13, 2011
- Vote without fear, Election Commission tells electorate - Apr 12, 2011
- Modernise state election commissions: Himachal governor - Jun 28, 2011
- CEC for ban on criminals, black money in polls - Mar 09, 2012
- Khurshid reprimand needed to uphold EC's dignity: Quraishi - Mar 08, 2012
- Apex court rejects plea on election symbols (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Counting in five poll-bound states on March 6 - Jan 09, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh first phase poll shifted to March 3, counting March 6 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Poll panel asks Verma to explain 'wilfull' sub-quota remark (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Omar aims at more power to panchayats - Feb 11, 2011
- Political parties oppose audit of annual accounts - Oct 08, 2010
- Courts can't decide poll dates: Supreme Court (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Photo voters card should be produced for voting' - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: booths, clutches, code of conduct, driving licences, ec, electorate, electronic voting machines, kerala assembly, kerala state election commission, model code, municipalities, parliament, parliament elections, photo id cards, polls, ration cards, state election commission, state government, tier structure