Kerala court quashes charge sheet in Sabarimala caseJuly 13th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, July 13 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Friday quashed the charge sheet filed by police in the controversial Sabarimala “astrological finding” case, which included Kannada actress Jaimala among the accused.
While closing the case, the court also said that the charges against the accused were not legally tenable.
In June 2006, a team led by noted astrologer P. Unnikrishna Panicker conducted a four-day “devaprasnam” (a puja to invoke god) at the Sabarimala temple, following which Panicker revealed that there were signs of a woman having entered the sanctum sanctorum of the temple.
As per the rules of the temple, dedicated to bachelor Hindu god Ayappa, women of menstruating age are not allowed inside.
Soon after the noted astrologer’s revelation, Kannada actress Jaimala claimed that she had entered the sanctum sanctorum and touched the temple deity in 1987.
Following this, a probe was launched and it concluded that the entire episode was staged to earn name and fame for Panicker.
Police filed a charge sheet against Panicker, his assistant Reghupathy and Jaimala for hatching a conspiracy and hurting religious sentiments of the people of the state.
The trio had filed a petition in the high court to dismiss the case.
Sabarimala is a popular Hindu temple located in Kerala’s Western Ghats area at an altitude of 914 metres above sea level in Pathanamthitta district.
- Court offers reprieve to Kannada actress in temple case - Oct 13, 2011
- Actress Jaimala gets court summons in Sabarimala case - Jul 15, 2011
- Actress Jaimala named accused in Sabarimala case - Dec 14, 2010
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Jayamala Pronounced Guilty Of Touching Sabarimala Deity - Dec 15, 2010
- Kannada actor not to be arrested in Sabarimala case - Nov 15, 2010
- Sabarimala pilgrimage begins - Nov 17, 2011
- 'Temple rules must not be changed': Kerala devotees - Apr 17, 2011
- Sabarimala priest's grandson to take temple body to court - Dec 15, 2011
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum - May 21, 2012
- Sabarimala: Pilgrims discover Q-coupon booking virtues - Nov 19, 2011
- Apex court issues notices on Kalighat temple entry (Lead) - May 15, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Sabarimala: Kerala would rather be safe than sorry - Nov 15, 2011
- Priests warn against opening Kerala temple's vault (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,