Kerala couple freed from Saudi jail reaches homeAugust 23rd, 2008 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kottayam, Aug 23 (IANS) Roy Joseph and his wife Biji of Kerala, freed after being jailed in Saudi Arabia for the past two years, reached their home here Saturday.The couple was convicted for employing a Nepali maid, who had no valid documents to work in Saudi Arabia and who was found dead near their home two years ago.
She used to look after their twin kids Steffi and Albert, then aged two.
Joseph said the whole episode was bungled by the Indian Embassy in Riyadh.
“I really wish to know what the Indian Embassy did for us. We were jailed and all what we were asked was how long was the maid employed with us,” a shattered Joseph told IANS.
Joseph worked with a construction company, and his wife was a nurse at Khalid University Hospital in Riyadh.
Recalling the events that led to their two-year jail term, Joseph said the maid was with them from Feb 20 to July 6, 2006.
“She was found dead near our home with our house key and a mobile phone. We were questioned as we were her employers. But they never did any investigation on the calls she received on her mobile before her death. Till today, nobody has told us how and what happened to her. Whether it was a murder or an accident. But we suffered for two years,” said Joseph.
The couple arrived at the Kochi airport Saturday morning and were received by their relatives. They met their children after two years.
“We were in separate prisons. We were not allowed to meet each other. The ordeal is over,” said Joseph.
- Sri Lankan maid suffers 17 years' slavery in Saudi house - Feb 19, 2011
- Two Indians slaving it out on Saudi camel farm - Apr 19, 2012
- Kerala nurses stranded in Saudi Arabia - Mar 11, 2012
- Saudi hammers 23 nails into Sri Lankan maid's body - Aug 25, 2010
- Saudi princess seeks political asylum in Britain - Jul 09, 2012
- India-Saudi ties poised for upsurge after Jundal handover (News Analysis) - Jul 29, 2012
- Saudi employer accused of hacking off Indonesian maid's lips - Nov 24, 2010
- Saudi Arabia bans maids from Indonesia, Philippines - Jul 01, 2011
- Saudi princess wants India to restore ancient mud relics - Sep 20, 2012
- 'Take up issue of stranded Keralites in Saudi Arabia' - Oct 19, 2011
- Saudi diplomats in Sudan getting death threats - May 28, 2010
- Saudi Arabia recalls envoy, closes embassy in Egypt - Apr 28, 2012
- Where is Fasih Mahmood, apex court asks (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Missing engineer's parents to stage hunger strike - May 24, 2012
- Saudi Arabia educating its women for jobs: Louise Khurshid - Oct 24, 2010