Kerala Christian priest faces murder chargeMay 7th, 2010 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, May 7 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Friday filed charge sheet against a Syrian Jacobite Church priest as an accused in the murder of a senior office-bearer of the rival Malankara Orthodox Church.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, a senior CBI official told IANS that the priest, Varghese Thekekara, who is the manager of the Angamali diocese of the Syrian Jacobite church, has been named the first accused in the murder of Malankara Varghese in December 2002.
The CBI filed teh charge sheet at the Ernakulam chief judicial magistrate’s court.
“Right now the priest is not in custody. Now the court will look into the matter,” the official said.
On investigation, the CBI’s Chennai unit, which began in September 2007, accused 19 people of the murder and said it was possibly due to the long standing feud between the Malankara Orthodox Church, headquartered in Kottayam, and the Syrian Jacobite Church, which has its headquarters in Ernakulam district.
The century-old feud between the two churches has always been a bother for successive governments in the state and on several occasions in the past feuds between the followers of the two churches have ended in brawls.
Initially, the murder of Varghese was considered a crime conducted by his business rivals, but five long years of probe by the state police’s crime branch yielded nothing conclusive.
Varghese’s widow then approached the Kerala High Court and in September 2007, the court asked the CBI to launch the probe.
The truth came out last month when the CBI arrested Joy Varghese alias Cement Joy, who confessed he had hired the criminals who committed the murder for a large sum of money.
- CBI questions head of Syrian Jacobite Church in murder case - Oct 21, 2011
- Bigger conspiracy in killing, says murdered priest's widow - May 09, 2010
- Kerala's church feud - over 100 years and continuing - Oct 12, 2010
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Kerala's Jacobite Church orders probe into bishop's claims - Jun 25, 2012
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- In attack on Kerala professor, police name 54 accused - Jan 14, 2011
- Presence of CPI-M politburo member at church altar kicks up row - Sep 02, 2012
- Man impersonates dead bishop to fraudulently sell his land - Dec 13, 2010
- CBI files charge sheet in Kerala's Muthoot murder case - Dec 31, 2010
- Former Kerala cop gets life term for Maoist's murder - Oct 28, 2010
- Kerala set for a gala Christmas - Dec 23, 2011
- CBI quizzes two Rajasthan legislators on Bharatpur riots - Aug 04, 2012
- Spanish priest arrested on child porn charges - Nov 13, 2010
Tags: alias, anonymity, brawls, business rivals, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chennai, christian priest, crime branch, feuds, followers, jacobite church, judicial magistrate, kerala high court, kottayam, malankara orthodox church, murder charge, office bearer, state police, sum of money