Kerala cardinal passes awayApril 1st, 2011 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, April 1 (IANS) Cardinal Mar Varkey Vithayathil, head of the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, died here Friday. He was 84.
Church spokesperson Father Paul Thelekkat said the cardinal fell down unconscious at 10 a.m. while conducting the mass.
“He was rushed to a hospital. Despite the doctors’ best efforts, he breathed his last at 2 p.m.,” said Thelekkat.
“Since all our bishops are away meeting the Pope, which happens once in five years, the body would be kept in the mortuary. The date of the funeral will be announced later,” added Thelekkat.
A hugely respected bishop, Vithayathil was ordained as a priest in 1954. Pope John Paul II nominated him as a member of the college of cardinals Jan 21, 2001.
He was one of the cardinal electors who participated in the 2005 papal conclave that selected Pope Benedict XVI.
In February 2008, he was elected president of the Catholic Bishops Conference of India.
With assembly elections just weeks away and the church having considerable clout, many candidates from across the state have started rushing here to pay their last respects to the departed cardinal.
Among those who paid their last respects was Communist Party of India-Marxist general secretary Prakash Karat.
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Syro Malabar Catholic Archbishop Vithayathil passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- Catholics upset at cardinal's 'reported' view on shooting - Feb 22, 2012
- 4,000 cases of Catholic priests abusing kids probed - Feb 08, 2012
- Vatican condemns China-sponsored ordination - Nov 25, 2010
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Newly appointed Cardinal arrives in India - Mar 03, 2012
- Artists record song for pope's visit to Mexico - Mar 12, 2012
- Pope calls for Church to reflect on what led to abuse - Dec 21, 2010
- Leaked memo will not affect Pope's Britain visit: Vatican - Apr 26, 2010
- Pope John Paul II's beatification gathers 1.5 million people - May 02, 2011
- Smaller crowds anticipated in UK for the papal visit - Sep 15, 2010
- India's Catholic church prepares to prevent scandals - Apr 27, 2010
Tags: assembly elections, benedict xvi, best efforts, cardinal electors, catholic bishops conference, catholic bishops conference of india, college of cardinals, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, general secretary, john paul ii, last respects, mortuary, papal conclave, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, pope john paul, pope john paul ii, prakash karat, syro malabar