Kerala budget may offer sops for jobless diasporaFebruary 18th, 2009 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 18 (IANS) Kerala Finance Minister Thomas Isaac Wednesday hinted that his budget, to be presented Friday, would have some special offers for the large number of NRIs, who are returning home after losing their jobs due to the economic slowdown.
“The situation in the Middle East is such that by June this year more than 200,000 people will return. Though the centre should have announced some sops, it is yet to happen. But in my budget there will be some measures for them,” Isaac told the state assembly.
Kerala NRI organisations have requested both state and central governments to announce sops for the returning NRIs like interest-free loans and writing off some loans that they have taken.
According to the Centre for Development Studies based here, over two million Keralites are living outside the country, with 90 percent of them in the Middle East.
Over the years, the remittances made by them have kept the state economy afloat.
Last fiscal, Kerala received Rs.24,525 crore (Rs.245.25 billion/$5.049 billion) as remittances, which is about 20 percent of the state’s net state domestic product and 30 percent more than the state’s annual receipts.
- Kerala allocates Rs.100 mn for returning expatriates - Feb 20, 2009
- Achuthanandan asks central government to help Middle East returnees - Feb 06, 2009
- Kerala shelves proposed Islamic bank - Mar 03, 2010
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Vijayan flays Planning Commission for failure to aid Kerala diaspora - Feb 05, 2009
- Kerala budgets didn't do justice to NRIs, says Issac (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Kerala budget has nothing much for non-resident Keralites - Mar 05, 2010
- Sops for diaspora in Kerala budget - Jul 08, 2011
- Kerala to reactivate state-run overseas recruitment arm - Aug 19, 2011
- Government urged to announce package for Gulf returnees - Nov 28, 2009
- First migrant resource centre opened at Kochi - Dec 15, 2008
- Remittances to Kerala set to fall - Jan 17, 2009
- Kerala woos diaspora, says investments in the state safe - Feb 21, 2009
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- 37,000 Kerala expats lost jobs due to recession: Study - Dec 01, 2009