Kerala assembly’s budget session starts FridayFebruary 11th, 2009 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 11 (IANS) The budget session of the Kerala assembly will start Friday and is expected to be stormy as the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) is hit by factionalism and corruption charges against a top party leader. “The session would end on March 5 and the state budget for 2009-10 would be presented on Feb 20,” Speaker K. Radhakrishnan told reporters here Wednesday.
The opposition is expected to take on the ruling party after the CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan was named by the Central Bureau of Investigation as an accused in the SNC-Lavalin case.
Vijayan as the state power minister had awarded a contract to the Canadian company in 1997 for renovation of three power plants and the comptroller and auditor general had found out that there were irregularities in the contract.
The party has been, over the past few years, deeply divided with Kerala Chief Miniater V.S. Achuthanandan on one side and the Vijayan-led faction on the other.
Ever since the CBI action, Achuthanandan has hit back at Vijayan and decided not to take part in the state wide rally led by Vijayan.
The opposition is also expected to discredit the Left government over the Supreme Court’s verdict on Vizhinjam port project. The apex court Tuesday had upheld the Kerala High Court’s verdict asking the state government to consider Zoom Developers’ tender for the Rs.53.48-billion Vizhinjam port project.
The Left Democratic Front (LDF) government had, through a tender, awarded the port project to a consortium of Hyderabad-based Lanco Kondapalli Power Ltd, Malaysia-based Pembinaan Redzai Sdn Bhd and Lanco Infrastructure Ltd and for technical reasons did not consider the proposal of Zoom, which then went to court.
- Supreme Court asks Kerala to accept Zoom's Vizhinjam port tender - Feb 10, 2009
- Chief Minister's son involved in corrupt deal: Kerala legislator - Dec 16, 2008
- CPI-M Kerala unit to meet to map its future - Feb 06, 2012
- Kerala opposition seeks probe into port work award - Dec 11, 2008
- Positives outnumber negatives in 100 days: Chandy regime - Sep 12, 2011
- Kerala High Court stays Vizhinjam port development - Dec 04, 2008
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
- Kerala cabinet to decide on Vizhinjam port contract - Apr 28, 2009
- Kerala to re-assess bid for Vizhinjam port development - Apr 29, 2009
- Kerala to float global tender for Vizhinjam port next year - Oct 14, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- CPI-M expels senior leader in Kerala - Jun 24, 2012
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
- Court grants interim stay to Vizhinjam port development - Jun 03, 2008