Kerala armed robbery suspect held in West BengalFebruary 27th, 2008 - 5:13 pm ICT by admin
Thrissur (Kerala), Feb 27 (IANS) A suspect in an armed robbery and a shootout at a gold ornament manufacturing unit here was arrested in West Bengal and was brought here Wednesday. Dipu, 22, alias Muhammed Shanawaz was arrested at Rishra, 32 km from Kolkata, according to police.
“He was brought by train here today (Wednesday),” said Sub-Inspector P.R. Bijoy of the Thrissur East police station.
The robbery took place Nov 26 last year. A three-member gang, all from West Bengal, fired on workers at an ornament unit, located in Thrissur town, 80 km from Kochi, and decamped with about 50 sovereigns of gold and cash worth Rs.20,000.
A few days after the incident, police arrested Imthias, Mehroof and Anwar, all from West Bengal, in connection with the incident.
“Imthias and Mehroof were the masterminds. They did not take part in the operation,” the police official told IANS.
It was Shanawaz, Anwar and Chottu who executed the robbery. Anwar was injured after he accidentally shot himself. Shanawaz and Chottu, reportedly brought here from West Bengal to execute the crime, left Kerala immediately after the incident.
“We could not find Chottu as he left the village. When we tried to take Shanawaz into custody, a mob tried to stop us. But we could do the job with the help of local police,” Bijoy said.
- CRPF man arrested for looting gold chains - May 04, 2012
- Rs.12 lakh jewellery stolen from Lucknow shop - May 17, 2012
- Child strangled for gold earrings in Bengal - May 16, 2012
- Police nab Pune gold-heist robbers - Apr 19, 2012
- Two women help arrest four criminals in Lucknow - Mar 01, 2012
- Two arrested for Hyderabad gold robbery - Jun 15, 2011
- Two arrested, 9 stolen cars recovered - Apr 09, 2011
- Deaf-mute athlete raped in Bengal, attacker arrested - Jun 26, 2012
- Gold ornaments looted from Maharashtra bank - Feb 21, 2011
- Assailants rob retired principal's house, 1 held - Apr 23, 2012
- Mentally-challenged woman's rapist identified - Dec 14, 2010
- Jewellery worth Rs.15 million looted in Punjab - Oct 09, 2010
- Snatching incidents, robberies jolt Chandigarh - Apr 27, 2010
- Delhi man decamps with 23 kg gold in Mumbai (Lead) - Dec 11, 2010
- 65-year-old woman killed in Delhi home - Sep 06, 2012