Kenya orders probe into poor performance at London OlympicsAugust 22nd, 2012 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Aug 22 (IANS) Kenyan president Mwai Kibaki ordered the Ministry of Sports to move fast and establish the cause of the country’s dismal performance at the recently concluded London Olympics.
Kibaki noted that the poor performance was raising concern among Kenyans with the nation winning two gold, four silver and five bronze medals, reports Xinhua.
“We are proud of Kenya’s position as a leading sporting nation. Let us never take that for granted,” he said here Tuesday.
Kibaki said he was awaiting the report of the investigation by the Ministry of Sports in order to ensure that the lessons learnt will guide the country in future events.
At the same time, he reminded the country’s sports federations and officials that they should at all times put the needs and aspirations of the sporting fraternity above any other consideration.
He also asked sports managers in the country to show transparency and accountability in their leadership at all times so as not to bring sports into disrepute.
Kibaki urged athletes to uphold the hard work exhibited in past championships, bearing in mind that other young people look upon them as role models.
- Three-day mourning in Kenya after chopper crash - Jun 11, 2012
- German TV channel stands by its doping report - May 30, 2012
- No pomp as downcast Kenyans return from London Games - Aug 16, 2012
- Two Kenyan ministers among six killed in chopper crash (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- India, Kenya to discuss bilateral trade and investment - Oct 12, 2010
- Kemboi shifts base to Bristol to avoid public scrutiny - Jul 14, 2012
- India-Kenya Joint Trade Committee meeting in Nairobi - Oct 12, 2010
- Kibaki invites FIFA World Cup teams to train in Kenya (Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Kremlin to honour Russian Olympic team - Aug 15, 2012
- Kenya eyeing relay triumph at London - Apr 18, 2012
- Kenya bars students from foreign competition - Feb 17, 2012
- Kenya's fall, rise and then fall again in London - Aug 14, 2012
- India at Olympics: Indians abroad have high expectations (With Image) - Jul 21, 2012
- Kibaki invites FIFA World Cup teams to train in Kenya - Nov 14, 2009
Tags: accountability, aspirations, bronze medals, dismal performance, disrepute, fraternity, future events, kenyan president, kenyans, leadership, london olympics, mwai kibaki, nairobi, olympics, poor performance, president mwai kibaki, role models, s sports, transparency, xinhua