Kejriwal’s ‘rapist-MPs’ remark angers politicians (Lead)February 26th, 2012 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) Political parties across the spectrum Sunday slammed Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal for his “outrageous” remarks that “rapists, murderers and looters” were sitting in the Indian parliament.
The Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) flayed the social activist for the insulting remarks and the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) threatened to bring a privilege notice against Kejriwal in the budget session starting March 12.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said Kejriwal had insulted parliament and the people who elect MPs.
“Parliament has a majority of those people, who are willing to do anything for the country. They reach there through hard work. Such statements not only insult the democracy and parliament, but also insult the people of the country,” Alvi told reporters, a day after the Team Anna member was campaigning in Uttar Pradesh asking voters not to vote for candidates with criminal records.
Kejriwal said 163 MPs had cases of “heinious offences” registered against them.
“In this parliament, rapists are sitting. In this parliament murderers and looters are sitting,” he said at a rally in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad.
The social activist was criticising politicians in general for refusing to pass the Jan Lokpal bill, the anti-graft legislation suggested by Anna Hazare and his team member.
Alvi also critized the media for for highlighting the “outrageous remarks” at prime slots. He said such comments “weaken democracy and the media shall not give them publicity”.
The BJP too reacted sharply and said the remarks by Kejriwal showed the “arrogant behaviour” of Team Anna.
“While trying to portray themselves as honest, some people create the impression that the whole world is dishonest. Such statements show that such people have no faith on Indian democracy, Indian constitution and parliament,” BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
Naqvi said there may be some people in parliament with criminal record but “for them you cannot bring an end to our parliamentary system or end to our democratic set up.”
“Such behaviour is unacceptable.”
RJD leader Ram Kripal Yadav said Kejriwal had “lost his mental balance”.
“He needs to be sent to a mental asylum,” Yadav said in Patna, asking the central government immediately arrest him on “sedition charges” because his “unsavioury remarks” were not only an “insult” to MPs but also to parliament and voters.
He said Kejriwal was acting at the “behest of some foreign forces” to “destabilise democratic system” of India.
Lok Janshakti Party leader Ram Vilas Paswan said “it is an attack on democracy and exposes (Team Anna’s) mentality.”
Paswan said this should be an eye opener for those politicians who were supporting Anna Hazare and were sharing stages with him, referring to BJP and other regional parties who shared stage with the social activist in Delhi during one of their anti-corruptin rallies.
“Ask all those who were supporting them by sharing stage with them,” Paswan said
- Kejriwal's 'rapist-MPs' remark draws Congress, BJP ire - Feb 26, 2012
- Privilege notice issued to Arvind Kejriwal - Mar 17, 2012
- Have not said anything wrong, says Kejriwal - Mar 26, 2012
- Kejriwal defends his remarks about politicians - Feb 27, 2012
- India's corrupt leaders will be ousted like Gaddafi: Ramdev - Feb 26, 2012
- MPs outraged over Team Anna's remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- 'Was warned to withdraw complaint against Kejriwal' - Apr 11, 2012
- Anna blames MPs for not passing Lokpal bill? - Mar 27, 2012
- Kejriwal's name missing from voters list - Feb 28, 2012
- Team Anna condemns Lok Sabha move to censure them (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- BJP, Team Anna cross swords on Himachal Lokayukta bill - Apr 02, 2012
- MPs outraged over Anna's remarks, Lok Sabha adjourned (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Lok Sabha to consider censure motion against Team Anna - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: 163, alvi, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, budget session, indian constitution, indian democracy, indian parliament, insulting remarks, looters, mukhtar, naqvi, outrageous remarks, rapist, rapists, remark angers, rjd, social activist