Kejriwal hopes UPA will honour Sonia’s commitment on LokpalNovember 9th, 2011 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) Welcoming Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s views that the government was committed to a stringent Lokpal bill, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal Wednesday hoped the UPA would honour her commitment and pass the anti-corruption law in parliament’s winter session.
“India Against Corruption (IAC) welcomes UPA Chairperson’s commitment on Lokpal,” Kejriwal wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.
“We sincerely hope the government would honour her commitment of getting a strong and effective Lokpal during the winter session. Mere speeches would not be enough from the Government’s side,” he added.
A speech quoting Gandhi, read out in Chamoli, Uttarakhand, said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the Congress were committed to an effective Lokpal bill that would be presented in parliament and implemented.
The Congress president, who was supposed to address a rally, her first since returning after a surgery abroad for an undisclosed ailment in August, called off the visit after she contracted fever.
Kejriwal said the Bihar government’s proposed Lokayukta bill is a copy of the much criticised central government’s draft against which social activist Anna Hazare sat on a fast.
“We sincerely wish that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar brings a strong Lokayukta Bill on the lines of Uttarakhand,” he said.
- Sonia hits out at Team Anna, commits Lokpal (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2011
- Hazare warns of another fast, government says no reason (Roundup) - Nov 01, 2011
- Will not campaign against any party: Team Anna - Jan 20, 2012
- Show courage for strong Lokpal bill: Hazare to PM (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Quotable quotes on Lokpal - Dec 11, 2011
- 'We are united', reiterates Team Anna; visits Hazare (Lead) - Oct 30, 2011
- Look within on corruption, Sonia tells Team Anna - Nov 09, 2011
- Anti-graft activists in Goa demand tabling of Lokayukta bill - Sep 07, 2011
- BJP, Team Anna cross swords on Himachal Lokayukta bill - Apr 02, 2012
- Junior officials should come under Lokpal ambit: Kiran Bedi - Nov 15, 2011
- Sonia misses second date with Uttarakhand - Jan 04, 2012
- Huge support for Jan Lokpal bill in Sonia's constituency - Nov 05, 2011
- Team Anna reject Lokpal panel's recommendations - Dec 07, 2011
- Nitish to use Lokpal bill for Lokayukta in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Hazare breaks maun vrat, Team Anna meets Lokpal panel - Nov 05, 2011
Tags: ailment, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, bihar government, central government, chairperson, chief minister, congress president sonia gandhi, corruption, criticised, honour, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, social activist, UPA, uttarakhand, winter session