Keep records of animal clinical trials: PETAAugust 21st, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Thursday dispatched letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss demanding that records be maintained of clinical trials conducted on animals and the number of deaths due to such tests.“In wake of the death of 49 children undergoing clinical trials at AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences), we have appealed to both the prime minister and the health minister to keep records of the number of animals dying due to clinical trials,” said PETA campaign coordinator Dharmesh Solanki.
Solanki said the NGO had taken recourse to the Right to Information Act to seek from the health ministry details of clinical trials conducted on animals “but they said they don’t keep such records.
“If so many human beings are dying in drug trails, imagine how many animals must be losing their lives. We should adopt modern technology and new findings of science before blindly going for animal trials,” Solanki told IANS.
According to PETA, the US Food and Drug Administration has found that only eight percent of drugs that pass animal tests make it to the marketplace.
“This fact substantiates PETA’s position that reliance on the results of animal tests can be dangerously misleading,” it said, adding that humans who enrolled for such clinical trials are made to believe that drugs that they are signing up for are safe but “this is not always true”.
- Health ministry mulls ban on cosmetic testing on animals - Jun 28, 2012
- Health of citizens is wealth of nation: Court - Feb 21, 2011
- AIIMS improves animal care facilities - Jun 15, 2011
- AIIMS urged not to use animals for medical training - Jan 17, 2012
- PETA organises 'Easter Protest' in Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Panel report on HPV vaccine trials slammed - May 09, 2011
- Drug trials should follow procedures: Azad - Feb 06, 2012
- PETA to protest outside AIIMS for release of animals - Mar 04, 2011
- Ramadoss appears in graft case, moves bail plea - Jul 10, 2012
- CBI court issues warrant against Ramadoss - Jul 07, 2012
- 22 people died during clinical trials - Aug 09, 2011
- SC issues notice to government on clinical trials (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- Hyderabad lab checked for illegal clinical trials (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- NHRC seeks response on unauthorised drug trial - Mar 19, 2012