Kazakhs want Russian names removed from mapMay 5th, 2012 - 4:36 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Kazakh group has asked the government to remove Russian names from the map of Kazakhstan, saying the names were a “gloomy legacy of Soviet totalitarianism”.
The group sent a letter to the government, calling themselves artistic intellectuals.
They said the Russian names were also “menacing reminder of our country’s (Kazakhstan) colonisation”.
Kazakhstan was a former Soviet republic.
In the letter addressed to the government, parliament and constitutional council, the group demanded that government members and state officials be required to take exams in the Kazakh language, and proposed a list of jobs with compulsory knowledge of the native language.
Under the constitution, the Kazakh language has the status of the state language. But a point in the constitution says Russian language can be used on par with Kazakh in government organisations and local administrations.
Activists have been demanding that the second point be removed from the constitution. But the government has refused to support the move.
- Kazakhstan allows Russia to resume space launches - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia, Kazakhstan extend Friendship Treaty for 10 years - Jun 08, 2012
- Kazakhstan to start defence training for all - Aug 09, 2012
- Kazakhstan launches national superhero contest - May 17, 2012
- Moscow airport cops suspected of extortion - Aug 29, 2012
- Three Russian journalists detained in Kazakhstan - Dec 19, 2011
- Russia, Kazakhstan in deadlock over rocket launches - May 30, 2012
- Russia, neighbours to hold air defence drills - Sep 14, 2012
- Suicide bomber targets Kazakh state security building - May 17, 2011
- Kazakh parliament backs referendum to extend Nazarbayev rule - Jan 14, 2011
- Kazakhstan holds presidential polls - Apr 03, 2011
- 200 kg heroin seized in Kazakhstan - Sep 06, 2012
- MPs scuffle in Ukraine parliament (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Russia seeks extradition of arms dealer from US - Aug 23, 2012
- Kazakh men use national flag to collect trash - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,