Kazakh embassy celebrates armed forces dayMay 11th, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) Kazakhstan and India share centuries-old historic ties and there was a need to further promote the cooperation, a top Indain intelligence officer has said here.
The remarks from Lt. Gen. S. Langer, chief of India’s Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), came during an event hosted by the Kazakh embassy to celebrate the Central Asian country’s 20th Armed Forces Day.
Kazakhstan celebrated the event with President Nursultan Nazarbayev lauding their dedication and service to the Central Asian country.
As part of the celebration, the Kazakh embassy held a ceremony in New Delhi attended by the envoy.
“Kazakhstan and India share centuries of history and cultural association,” Langer said at the event.
He said recorded history, linkages have been found between the traders and the products of Kazakhstan and ancient Indian civilizations.
“In fact in military terms, the first double edged curved swords, that made their appearance in north India are supposed to have origins in Kazakhstan,” he said.
“A large amount of the unique Kazakh horse breeds have been imported into India over the centuries. From the spread of Buddhism to the establishment of Delhi sultanate in 12th century and Mughal empire in India, there have been unique connections between our people, culture, arts and indeed exchange of knowledge.”
Langer was the chief guest at the event that was also attended by officials from the Indian defence and external affairs ministries, and heads of diplomatic missions.
Ambassador of Kazakhstan to India D. Kuanyshev stressed that the celebration of the armed forces of Kazakhstan coincided with the 20-year anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Kazakhstan and India.
He noted the important role of the armed forces of the Central Asian country in ensuring the sovereignty and security of the country.
- Cultural affinity between India, Kazakhstan: PM - Apr 16, 2011
- Kazakhs in Delhi can vote for Sunday's Kazakhstan polls - Jan 13, 2012
- Kazakhstan to host Indian PM next year: Envoy - Nov 12, 2010
- Indo-Kazakh ties have evolved into firm strategic partnership: PM - Apr 15, 2011
- Britain eyes Afghanistan transit routes - Mar 02, 2012
- Kazakh embassy celebrates traditional goodwill festival of Nauryz - Mar 21, 2010
- Kazakh restive town normal, UN experts invited - Dec 23, 2011
- Kazakhstan to celebrate its president's birthday, Astana's founding in July - Jun 23, 2010
- 'Best of India' exhibition opens in Almaty - Feb 27, 2010
- Krishna to visit Kazakhstan next month - Apr 23, 2010
- Manmohan Singh welcomes Kazakhstan agreements - Apr 16, 2011
- Kazakhstan launches national superhero contest - May 17, 2012
- Ensuring national and linguistic unity key to Kazakhstan's well being: Nazarbayev - Oct 27, 2009
- Manmohan Singh calls for dynamic Indo-Kazakh relations - Apr 15, 2011
- Indian Army chief talks defence relations with Uzbekistan - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: armed forces day, central asian country, chief guest, curved swords, defence intelligence agency, delhi sultanate, diplomatic missions, horse breeds, indain, india share, indian civilizations, indian defence, intelligence officer, kazakh embassy, military terms, mughal empire in india, north india, nursultan nazarbayev, president nursultan nazarbayev, spread of buddhism