Kayani satisfied with army’s preparednessOctober 21st, 2011 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 21 (IANS) Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said he is satisfied with the army’s level of readiness.
Addressing a conference of formation commanders Thursday, Kayani lauded the military and its stabilisation operations being carried out in FATA to restore peace, reported Dawn.
The two-day conference began Thursday, a day when US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived here on a two-day visit amid escalating tensions between Washington and Islamabad.
The conference is being attended by corps commanders, principal staff officers and formation commanders who briefed on the security situation in the country.
Clinton’s visit takes place at a time when Pakistan-US ties have seen a sharp decline after the attack last month on the US embassy in Kabul and the truck bomb blast at a major American military base in Afghanistan’s Maidan Wardak province, blamed on the Taliban-linked Haqqani network.
The US accuses Pakistan’s intelligence agency ISI of supporting the Haqqani network in both attacks, a charge denied by Islamabad.
There is also tension over the massing of heavily-armed US and NATO troops at the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
- You can't keep snakes in backyard, Clinton tells Pakistan - Oct 21, 2011
- Hillary arrives on two-day Pakistan visit - Oct 20, 2011
- Kayani warns US against anti-Pakistan offensive - Oct 19, 2011
- Pakistani army discuss security at emergency meet - Sep 25, 2011
- 'Pakistan spends on three soldiers what India spends on one' - Oct 20, 2011
- Pakistan spy chief goes to Saudi Arabia - Sep 26, 2011
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011
- ISI has ties with Haqqani network: US commander - Apr 21, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan army chief (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Gilani, Zardari discuss security situation - Sep 28, 2011
- Unilateral incursion into Pakistan will be disastrous: daily - Oct 20, 2011
- Petraeus discusses 'ways to improve regional security' with Kayani - Apr 26, 2011
- Kashmir no excuse for Pakistan's Haqqani ties: Senator - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan wants stronger ties with Saudi Arabia: Zardari - Sep 27, 2011
- ISAF commander to visit Pakistan Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, american military base, army chief, ashfaq, bomb blast, chief general, corps commanders, hillary clinton, intelligence agency, maidan, nato troops, pakistan army, pakistan border, parvez, principal staff, security situation, staff officers, truck bomb, us embassy in kabul, wardak