Katju favours strong Lokpal, but not in present formMarch 31st, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) The demand for a stronger anti-graft Lokpal legislation found a supporter in Press Council of India chairman Justice Markandey Katju, who Saturday urged parliament to send the bill back to the standing committee for considering creation of a workable probe agency against corruption.
He also noted that though social activist Anna Hazare was an honest person, his ideas were not scientific.
Katju, however, warned that the present legislation could create a parallel bureaucracy that could emerge as a “Frankenstein” to increase graft in the country two or three times the present levels.
In a statement here, Katju contended that creation of the Lokpal creation and its implications had not been rationally thought out.
“Some people thought that all problems of corruption will be solved by shouting ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’ or ‘Inquilaab Zindadbad’ from Jantar Mantar or Ram Lila Ground,” he said.
The retired Supreme Court judge also noted that be it the Anna Hazare’s Jan Lokpal or the government drafted one, the legislation provided for supervision of over 55 lakh employees of the government from the prime minister to a peon.
“Surely one person cannot enquire into the lakhs of complaints which are bound to pour in. It will require thousands of Lokpals, may be 50,000 of them to do this,” he said, noting that these persons too would be paid salaries and other facilities such as houses, offices and subordinate staff members.
“And then where is the guarantee that these will not themselves become corrupt? In fact considering the low level of morality prevailing in India, we can be fairly certain that a large number of them will become blackmailers,” Katju said.
- Lokpal unworkable, will only pile up problems: Katju - Mar 28, 2012
- Team Anna urges people to protest 'weak' Lokpal bill - Dec 09, 2011
- Lokpal panel still divided on inclusion of PM (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- BJP wants PM, CBI, lower bureaucracy under Lokpal - Dec 11, 2011
- 'PM, Group C employees may be brought under Lokpal ambit' - Dec 12, 2011
- Anna gets MCD nod for another hunger strike - Nov 27, 2011
- Hazare's fast enters fourth day - Aug 01, 2012
- Government trying to mislead nation: Hazare (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Lokpal bill may come up in parliament in November - Aug 28, 2011
- Pranab asks MPs to discuss Anna's three key demands - Aug 27, 2011
- Junior officials should come under Lokpal ambit: Kiran Bedi - Nov 15, 2011
- No differences with IAC, we work together: Hazare's old aides - Jan 09, 2012
- Voices of dissonance against Anna and Co - Apr 22, 2011
- Plea in apex court to restrain Hazare from fasting - Aug 01, 2011
- Will agitate again if bill not passed: Anna Hazare - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, bureaucracy, corruption, frankenstein, honest person, jai, jantar mantar, lakh, lakhs, lila, morality, New Delhi, peon, press council of india, salaries, social activist, staff members, standing committee, subordinate staff, supreme court judge