Katich century takes Australia to 231/3 (Lunch Report)November 8th, 2008 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Nov 8 (IANS) Australia scored at a painstaking pace in the first session and riding on a century from Simon Katich reached 231 for three in the first innings, chasing India’s 441, at lunch on the third day of the fourth and final Test at the Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) Stadium here Saturday.Resuming at the overnight score of 189/2, Australia scored just 42 runs from 24 overs. When the umpires called lunch, Mike Hussey was batting on 64 and vice-captain Michael Clarke was on one.
Runs were hard to come as Indian bowlers repeatedly bowled outside the off stump, and delayed the introduction of the spinners. Australia had to force the pace and Katich (102) batted watchfully for his fifth Test hundred. But India’s persistence with pace paid off when he fell lbw to Zaheer Khan shortly before lunch ending his 155-run third-wicket stand with Hussey.
But Katich should thank the Indian fielders, who denied him of an opportunity at the same venue four years back to get his century. When he was on 94, Ishant Sharma forced him to play away from the body and Rahul Dravid spilled an easy chance at first slip. Four years back here, Katich had missed a century by just one run.
With eight fielders on the off side, Ishant kept bowling wide of off stump and Katich patiently let several of them go before getting to his hundred with a delicate dab through the gully for four.
Ishant and Zaheer were given extended spells and the first hour, with 13 overs of pace, yielded just 25 runs. It was only after 18 overs that captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni decided to replace Ishant with Harbhajan Singh.
- Yadav's maiden fifer gives India something to cheer (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- First Test evenly poised as 15 wickets fall on third day (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Clarke's triple century makes it tough for India (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2012
- India staring at third big defeat in Australia (Roundup) - Jan 14, 2012
- India bounce back in Mohali Test after early lapses - Oct 01, 2010
- Three quick wickets put Australia on backfoot (Tea Report) - Nov 08, 2008
- Clarke, Ponting virtually bat India out of SCG Test (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- Ponting, Clarke double centuries put Australia in command (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Triple strikes from Yadav trouble Australia (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- India pick four as Australia amass 563/7 (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Australia dominate with centuries by Clarke, Ponting (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- We can chase anything under 300, says Sehwag - Dec 28, 2011
- Yadav picks up three; Cowan, Ponting 50s take Australia to 170/3 (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Windies rally but facing huge task to beat Aussies - Apr 26, 2012
- India suffer batting collapse, Hilfenhaus bags maiden fifer (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011