Kathak comes to the land of BharatanatyamAugust 6th, 2008 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 6 (IANS) Tamil Nadu, rich in cultural heritage, just became richer with the Sangeet Natak Akademi’s Kathak Kendra deciding to open a teaching centre in the heart of Bharatanatyam land here. The Kathak school of dance which will be operational from September will be hosted by the city based cultural organisation, Narada Gana Sabha. The faculty will be provided by Kathak Kendra, Delhi.
The announcement was made at the inauguration of the Natyarangam annual festival Monday by Akademi secretary Jayant Kastuar.
The Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s department of culture and performing arts, is planning “to start training centres for various Indian dance forms” across the country, which will have the capability to become full institutions, the official said.
A national museum of performing arts in Delhi is also in the offing, he said.
- Arts, sports bring best of India to Delhi's culture street - Oct 11, 2010
- Never retired, never stopped dancing, says Birju Maharaj at 74 (Interview) - Feb 23, 2011
- Never retired, never stopped dancing, says Birju Maharaj at 75 (Lead, Interview) - Feb 23, 2011
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Jasraj, Lagoo, Amonkar get Sangeet Natak Akademi awards - Sep 28, 2010
- New Sangeet Natak Akademi museum to open next month - Jul 18, 2011
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- Museum of performing arts to come up in Delhi - Mar 08, 2011
- 33 young artists honoured with Bismillah award - Aug 11, 2010
- Hema Malini, daughters to perform at Khajuraho festival - Jan 31, 2011
- Dancing to Indian tunes with an American soul (Feature) (With Image) - Jul 06, 2012
- Mohan Khokar collection to bring alive century of Indian dance (With Image) - Jul 16, 2011
- India's rich cultural canvas forms an important part of global cultural heritage: President Patil - Sep 28, 2010
- Nearly 3,000 artists avail special scheme - Aug 03, 2011