Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designersApril 29th, 2011 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 29 (IANS) Kate Middleton’s long Chantilly lace-sleeved ivory white gown that she wore on her wedding day got the thumb’s up from Indian designers, who said she looked “feminine and delicate” and has set a trend for would-be brides.
“She was was looking amazingly feminine and delicate in the ivory gown. I like the lacy corseted upper. However, I would have liked a slight embellishment with precious stones to enhance the royal feel,” Delhi-based designer Varija Bajaj told IANS.
Arpan Vohra said: “She was looking super chic and very feminine. Kate Middleton, as we all know, is very fashion conscious. Considering she is a tall person, the gown was a perfect fit for her.”
Vohra, however felt an off-shoulder cut would have enhanced her personality more.
“I wish she would have added an off-the-shoulder neckline. It would have simply looked great on her with a long trail of veil and crown as the final touches,” she said.
Kate’s wedding outfit, a guarded secret till she stepped out to wed Prince Williams Friday at the at Westminster Abbey in London, was a creation of Alexander McQueen’s creative director Sarah Burton. When Kate waked down the aisle in the ivory gown with lace applique floral detailing and a 2.7 meter train and wispy veil, everyone felt she looked her elegant best.
The skirt was handmade by the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court while the lace design was hand-engineered using Carickmacross lace making techniques developed in Ireland in the 1820s, reports contactmusic.com.
Her ivory satin bodice, narrowed at the waist and padded at the hips, drew on the Victorian tradition of corsetry - a hallmark of Alexander McQueen’s designs. At the back of the gown, 58 gazar and organza covered buttons were fastened by Rouleau loops.
Designers across the world waited impatiently to see 29-year-old’s wedding gown, including the creative people in India as well. And it was worth the wait.
Bangalore-based designer Raj Parnani said: “She was looking like the princess of the century in her gown. Everything about her was so perfect that I will say her dress will be my inspiration for making a new collection.”
Mumbai-based designer Anand Kabra said the Duchess of Cambridge was looking fantastic with her minimalistic look and added: “She has set a trend for all the would-be brides. She was looking stunning, clean, structured, feminine and sophisticated in her getup. I would say that the dress befitted the modern day princess.”
Even Kate’s accessories were simple and elegant - she wore a Cartier tiara - loaned by Queen Elizabeth - and long veil with her hair pinned up at the front, flowing into soft curls at the back. Her earrings, diamond-set stylised oak leaves by Robinson Pelham, were a gift from her parents Michael and Carole.
Reynu Taandon described the dress as the “perfect combination of tradition, elegance and modern chic look.”
“Kate wore tiara from the royal collection with a full veil in keeping with tradition. Also, she had her arms covered with full sleves, which was looking amazing. She is considered one of the best dressed brides of all time.”
Parvesh Rana from the label Parvesh and Jai said: “She definitely justified the royal feel. She has been gifted with innocence and elegance on her face and it would be insane to compare to other previous queens.”
- Fashion designers praise Kate Middleton's 'classic' wedding gown - Apr 30, 2011
- Was Kate's wedding gown inspired by Grace Kelly's nuptial dress? - Apr 30, 2011
- Kate weds in white Sarah Burton gown (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Chinese brides-to-be eye Kate's wedding gown - May 04, 2011
- Designing Kate's wedding dress was an honour: Sarah Burton - Apr 30, 2011
- Now, Chinese tailors copy Kate's wedding gown - May 01, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- Pippa Middleton: Playing the perfect maid of honour - Apr 29, 2011
- Vogue editor 'urged Kate Middleton to pick McQueen dress for wedding' - Mar 08, 2011
- McQueen's successor to design Kate Middleton's wedding dress? - Mar 07, 2011
- Kate's ex-designer 'upset' over double snub - May 01, 2011
- Kate Middleton's dress rakes in 10 million in ticket sales - Jul 19, 2012
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate is vision in white - Apr 29, 2011
- British royals may sue if designers make 'Kate Middleton' dresses - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: alexander mcqueen, covered buttons, embellishment, final touches, gazar, hampton court, indian designers, ivory gown, ivory satin, kate middleton, lace design, prince williams, royal school of needlework, sarah burton, tall person, victorian tradition, vohra, wedding outfit, westminster abbey, white gown