Kashyap smashes his way into Indonesia Open semis (Lead)June 15th, 2012 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, June 15 (IANS) India’s Parupalli Kashyap came up with another stellar performance in the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier badminton event as he beat higher-ranked Dane, Hans-Kristian Vittinghus, to enter the men’s singles semifinals here Friday.
World No. 26 Kashyap, who stunned top seed Chen Long of China Thursday, took 39 minutes to dispatch a player ranked ten places above him with the final quarterfinal scoreline being 21-15, 21-14.
The 25-year-old now meets local hope Simon Santoso, who beat countryman Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka 21-17, 21-7.
A spring in Kashyap’s stride was apparent after the thumping win against the Chinese. He was unstoppable in the opening game against Vittinghus, hitting a remarkable 17 smashes.
Similar happened in the second game as the Dane found it hard to contain Kashyap.
National coach Pullela Gopichand, who watched the match from the sidelines, said Kashyap’s performance once gain reaffirmed that he was capable of beating the top players.
“It was very difference match from yesterday (against Chen). Today, he led through out the match and was confident with his strokes. With the Chinese, you have to attack all the time but with Vittinghus he could also defend. He made good use of the court and the win yesterday has certainly given him a big boost,” Gopichand told IANS.
Kashyap has qualified for the London Games alongside India’s top player Saina Nehwal.
Asked whether the performance here would bolster Kashyap’s chances in the Olympics, Gopichand said: “Lets not think ahead of time. He is playing really well at the moment and is fully fit. Having said that, he is growing in confidence with victories against top-10 players.”
Later in the day, Saina takes on China’s Shixian Wang in the women’s singles quarterfinals.
- Indonesia Open: Saina, Kashyap storm into semis (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Kashyap enters semis of Indonesia Open - Jun 15, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too - Jun 14, 2012
- Indonesia Open: Kashyap stuns World No.3, Saina wins too (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina enters fourth final at Indonesia Open, Kashyap loses (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Kashyap's impressive run in Indonesia Open ends (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Saina reaches quarter-finals of Indonesia Open - Jun 14, 2012
- Saina in Indonesia Open final, Kashyap loses (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Shuttler Kashyap qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 28, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina creates history; Kasyhap's dream run ends (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap enters quarters, creates history (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Chinese will be tough to beat at Olympics: Saina Nehwal (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- India Open: Kashyap goes down fighting in semis - Apr 28, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: badminton, china, confidence, countryman, gopichand, hope simon, India, indonesia, jakarta, kristian, london games, match, national coach, olympics, quarterfinal, second game, sidelines, simon santoso, stellar performance, strokes