Kashmir’s examgate: education minister indicted ?February 8th, 2012 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 8 (IANS) After seven days of inquiry, Jammu and Kashmir Police crime branch has reportedly indicted state Education Minister Peerzada Mohammad Sayeed for using “unfair means” to favour his son in the 10th class examination in 2009.
A source in the crime branch told IANS that the inquiry revealed that Peerzada, a Congress man, used his official position to help his son Imam Sauban pass his Class 10th examination.
The source said that the crime branch has not yet officially submitted the report to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The chief minister had asked the crime branch to inquire into the matter and submit a report within seven days after the controversy came to light Jan 30 this year.
A local newspaper in Srinagar first published a report on the issue along with photographs of Imam’s answer sheets of the Urdu and Mathematics papers. “Both papers were written by a senior education department official,” the source said.
Reportedly, the state education department and the Board of School Education (BOSE) “were hand in glove in the case.”
Earlier in 2010, another state minister, Ghulam Mohammad Saroori of the Congress party, had to quit for alleged impersonation in the entrance examination for getting his daughter admitted to a medical college.
- Kashmir's examgate: education minister indicted? (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Kashmir education minister resigns (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Peerzada says Sonia rejected his resignation - Feb 11, 2012
- Kashmir education minister cheated for son's exam? (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Kashmir minister says Sonia rejected resignation letter (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Omar divests minister of education portfolio - Feb 11, 2012
- Kashmir Congress works at unity to seek portfolios - Feb 17, 2012
- Kashmir minister asked to resign after pilgrimage - Aug 25, 2010
- Kashmir education minister resigns over examgate - Feb 10, 2012
- Omar Abdullah sacks Roads and Buildings Minister Saroori in J-K - Aug 26, 2010
- Senior National Conference leader quits party post - Aug 25, 2010
- Chidambaram will clarify on anti-terror hub, says Farooq - Feb 18, 2012
- Kashmir education minister cheated for son's exam? - Jan 30, 2012
- Peerzada's ouster a dark shadow on Congress in Valley (Kashmir Newsletter) - Feb 11, 2012
- PDP disrupts Kashmir assembly over corruption - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: answer sheets, bose, chief minister, congress man, congress party, crime branch, education minister, entrance examination, ghulam mohammad, hand in glove, impersonation, kashmir, medical college, police crime, sayeed, school education, senior education, seven days, state education department, state minister