Kashmir’s examgate: education minister indicted? (Lead)February 8th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 8 (IANS) After seven days of inquiry, Jammu and Kashmir Police have reportedly indicted state Education Minister Peerzada Mohammad Sayeed for using “unfair means” to favour his son in Class 10 examination in 2009.
A source in the crime branch of police told IANS that the inquiry revealed that Peerzada, a Congress man, used his official position to help his son Imam Sauban pass his Class 10 examination.
The minister in the National Conference-Congress coalition government was not available for comment despite several attempts.
The source said that the crime branch has not yet officially submitted the report to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The chief minister had asked the crime branch to inquire into the matter and submit a report within seven days after the allegatuions surfaced Jan 30 this year.
A local newspaper in Srinagar first published a report on the issue along with photographs of Imam’s answer sheets of the Urdu and Mathematics papers for Class 10 examination. “Both papers were written by a senior education department official,” the source said.
Reportedly, the state education department and the Board of School Education (BOSE) “were hand in glove in the case”.
Earlier in 2010, another state minister, Ghulam Mohammad Saroori of the Congress party, had to quit for alleged impersonation in the entrance examination for getting his daughter admitted to a medical college.
Peerzada also resigned during his earlier stint as education minister in January 2008 following charges by Independent legislator Shoaib Lone that he paid a bribe of Rs.40,000 to him.
- Kashmir's examgate: education minister indicted ? - Feb 08, 2012
- Kashmir education minister resigns (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Kashmir minister says Sonia rejected resignation letter (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Peerzada says Sonia rejected his resignation - Feb 11, 2012
- Kashmir education minister cheated for son's exam? (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Omar divests minister of education portfolio - Feb 11, 2012
- Kashmir Congress works at unity to seek portfolios - Feb 17, 2012
- Kashmir education minister resigns over examgate - Feb 10, 2012
- Peerzada's ouster a dark shadow on Congress in Valley (Kashmir Newsletter) - Feb 11, 2012
- Cabinet reshuffle expected in Jammu and Kashmir - May 23, 2011
- Kashmir minister asked to resign after pilgrimage - Aug 25, 2010
- Chidambaram will clarify on anti-terror hub, says Farooq - Feb 18, 2012
- Kashmir education minister cheated for son's exam? - Jan 30, 2012
- Omar Abdullah sacks Roads and Buildings Minister Saroori in J-K - Aug 26, 2010
- Senior National Conference leader quits party post - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: answer sheets, bribe, chief minister, coalition government, congress man, congress party, crime branch, education minister, entrance examination, ghulam mohammad, hand in glove, impersonation, jammu and kashmir, legislator, rs 40, sayeed, school education, senior education, state education department, state minister