Kashmiri youth turn out in record numbers to join armyMarch 16th, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 16 (IANS) More than 6,000 enthusiastic Kashmiri youth turned up for recruitment in the Indian Army Friday in south Kashmir and police and army men had a tough time controlling the swelling crowds.
The army held a recruitment rally at the High Ground in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district Friday for the 10 districts of the Valley. The rally started on March 12 and will continue till March 18.
The rally is for recruiting candidates from the districts of the Valley as general duty soldiers, nursing orderlies and other categories.
Brigadier Vinod Raizada, deputy director general (DDG) Recruiting (Punjab and J&K;) visited the rally Friday.
“Selected candidates will not only get a lifetime opportunity to serve the nation in the various arms and services of the army, but will also be able to serve the nation with honour and dignity,” Brigadier Raizada said flagging off the rally.
He also said, “The Indian army is looking to enroll the best and the brightest young men from J&K; state.
“Naturally, the process is merit based, giving a fair and impartial opportunity to all eligible youth. There would be more such rallies to give greater opportunity to all aspirants of J&K; state. The rally is a step by the army to ameliorate the conditions of unemployed youth of the Valley. The huge turnout for recruitment suggests that the army has carved a niche for itself in the hearts and minds of Kashmiris. The youth have realized the importance of the army and are exhibiting keen desire to join it.”
Friday’s rally is a far cry from the days the local youth shied away from joining the security forces in the Valley.
The high turnout at the army recruitment rally was despite the warning by various guerrilla groups to the local youth to keep away from such rallies and not seek jobs with the Indian security forces.
- Kashmiri youth swarm army recruitment rally - Feb 19, 2011
- Thousands flock to join Indian Army in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- Army undertakes recruitment drive in Kashmir Valley - May 09, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir youth throng army recruitment rally in Ganderbal - Feb 20, 2011
- Army trains youth for armed forces' career - May 30, 2012
- Thousands throng army's recruitment camp in Kashmir - Feb 21, 2011
- 1,925 Kashmiri Pandit migrants get jobs in Valley - Mar 10, 2012
- Call for Jammu shutdown Friday over bill on district jobs - Apr 08, 2010
- Hundreds of young Kashmiris throng police recruitment rally - Jan 12, 2011
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Abdullah 'happy' to reward Raina with a plot - Apr 04, 2011
- Reap the democratic dividend in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2011
- Induction of Army into Kashmir in tune with national policy - Jul 08, 2010
- Former army chief revisits his Kashmir roots - May 12, 2012
- Kashmiri youth campaign against police bill on Facebook - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: anantnag, army men, brigadier, ddg, deputy director general, duty soldiers, eligible youth, guerrilla groups, hearts and minds, high turnout, indian army, indian security forces, kashmir, keen desire, lifetime opportunity, punjab, record numbers, south kashmir, srinagar, unemployed youth