Kashmir Valley reels under heat, humidityJune 27th, 2011 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 27 (IANS) The sweltering heat and humid conditions prevailing in the Kashmir Valley for the last four days are likely to last another five days, an official of the weather office said here Monday.
“The high temperature hovered around 32 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Monday) which is normal for this time of the season, but the sweating generally experienced by people is due to increased humidity,” the official said.
“Humidity in the morning was around 70 percent,” said R.L. Pandita, assistant meteorologist in the local weather office here.
Pandita said the weather would continue to remain humid till July 3 when the monsoon is expected to reach the Valley.
Normally, the monsoon hits the Valley by July 12, but this year, it reached the Jammu region June 24 which was six days earlier than expected, the official said.
“There have been widespread rains in the Jammu region for the last three days and we have issued a warning till tomorrow (Tuesday) evening after which there would be a break in the rains,” the official said.
“The monsoon is a pulsating feature which means rain occur for a few days and then it stops pouring for a few days till another wet cycle begins,” he said.
The humid conditions have resulted in brisk business for shops selling cold drinks, ice-creams and milk shakes to locals and tourists in the city.
“We have a heavy rush of customers. Cold drinks, milk shakes and ice creams are hot favourites,” said the owner of an ice-cream parlour here.
- Mercury soars in Srinagar - May 19, 2011
- Snowfall in north Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze - Jan 09, 2011
- Slight respite from chill in Kashmir, snowfall likely - Jan 12, 2011
- Chilly winds add to bitter cold in Kashmir - Jan 17, 2011
- Fresh snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 14, 2011
- Coldest day in Srinagar at minus 3.8 degrees - Dec 08, 2010
- Rainy weekend in store for Delhi (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Sub-sero conditions sweep Kashmir, Ladakh, freeze taps - Dec 03, 2010
- Srinagar battles frozen taps, winter woes at minus 5.6 - Jan 18, 2011
- Freezing winter continues in Kashmir Valley - Jan 23, 2011
- Delay in arrival of monsoon in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2009
- Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra early - Jun 06, 2012
- Snow and rain to lash Kashmir Valley - Nov 10, 2011
- Mercury dips as monsoon arrives in Delhi (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Delhi continues to swelter, monsoon likely after July 3 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012