Kashmir land transfer controversy: Separatists under house arrestJune 23rd, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 23 (IANS) The police here Monday put some Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest in order to prevent protest demonstrations against the allotment of forest land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB). “We have supported the protest call given by Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s Tehreek-e-Hurriyat for today (Monday), but the administration put us under house arrest in order to prevent our participation in these protests,” Nayeem Khan, chairman of the National Front, told IANS on phone.
Transfer of the forest land to SASB, the board that manages the annual pilgrimage to the Hindu cave shrine of Amarnath in south Kashmir, has snow-balled into an unrelenting controversy.
The land was transferred to SASB to build temporary facilities for pilgrims. But the critics, including mainstream and separatist political parties, allege that the shrine board would use the land to raise permanent structures to settle non-Kashmiris, changing the Muslim-majority character of the Kashmir Valley.
Other separatist leaders whose movements were restricted include Shabir Shah, chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, Javaid Ahmad Mir, chief of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Forum, and Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai of the Tehreek-e-Hurriyat.
Senior separatist leader, Syed Ali Geelani had, however, reportedly left his home Sunday apprehending the restrictions.
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal Lone of the moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference are presently visiting Pakistan.
- Kashmir land transfer controversy: Malik threatens fast unto death (Lead) - Jun 23, 2008
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march - Aug 28, 2010
- Syed Ali Shah Geelani wants Pakistan to step-up diplomatic efforts - Feb 11, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders still under house arrest - Aug 06, 2011
- Normalcy slowly returning to Srinagar - Jun 27, 2012
- Omar asks separatists: Where are you during winter? - May 27, 2011
- Shabir Shah arrested, Mirwaiz free to move around (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders under house arrest - Aug 11, 2011
- Geelani demands release of prisoners before Eid - Aug 19, 2011
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in Kashmir - Sep 04, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- No plans to construct motorable road to Amarnath shrine: Kashmir - Aug 19, 2012
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Geelani seeks Afzal Guru's release before dialogue (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010