Kashmir gunfight: Search operations called off (Lead)August 16th, 2010 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 16 (IANS) Security forces Monday evening called off search operations in the Thanna Mandi forests of Rajouri district in Jammu and Kashmir after recovering the bodies of three militants killed in a shootout.
The security forces are also trying to track down another group of militants in the adjoining mountainous belt, despite rains hampering the operation, an official said.
“We have recovered the bodies of three militants,” Ramesh Jalla, Senior Superintendent of Police, Rajouri, told reporters in Rajouri late Monday evening.
Two of three militants have been identified. “They are Abu Ali and Uzefa Kamar,” the officer said.
Security forces also recovered three AK-47 rifles, 12 magazines of AK-47 rifles, one satellite phone, two grenades and six mobile phones from the slain militants.
The police are trying to find out to whom the SIM cards were issued.
The shootout in Thanna Mandi area, about 180 km north of Jammu, began Saturday when an army team led by Major S.K. Mahapatra traced a group of militants in the forested area. In the ensuing gunfight, Mahapatra was injured and a soldier was killed Sunday.
The operations were taking place close to the area where terrorists fired at a convoy of the army and a civilian bus Wednesday. Two passengers were killed and 17 injured in the attack.
- Kashmir gunfight: Rains hamper army operations - Aug 16, 2010
- Militant surrenders in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 29, 2010
- LeT militant killed in a shootout - May 21, 2012
- Security forces seize huge cache of arms in Rajouri in Kashmir - Aug 07, 2010
- The harsh realities of counter-insurgency operations - May 28, 2011
- Militant killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 11, 2010
- Army soldier, two terrorists killed in Rajouri gunbattle - Aug 16, 2010
- Rajouri encounter against militants ends after three days - Aug 16, 2010
- LeT militant killed in Kashmir gunfight - Feb 15, 2010
- J-K encounter: Top Hizbul militant killed, two escape in Rajouri - Feb 15, 2010
- Security forces gun down two 'Hizbul Mujahideen' militants - Feb 13, 2010
- Two LeT militants killed in Kashmir encounter - Oct 17, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir - Nov 27, 2010
- Arms, ammunition seized from Poonch militant hideout - Aug 28, 2010
- Arms cache unearthed in J&K; - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: abu ali, ak 47, army team, convoy, forested area, forests, grenades, jammu and kashmir, kamar, kashmir, militants, mobile phones, rifles, satellite phone, search operations, security forces, sim cards, soldier, superintendent, terrorists