Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16December 28th, 2011 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 28 (IANS) Severe cold wave conditions continued unabated Wednesday across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region as night temperatures remained below freezing point with Leh recording a minimum of minus 16 degrees.
“The night temperature was minus 3.4 degrees Celsius in Srinagar,” meteorological office director Sonam Lotus told IANS.
“It was minus 7 degrees in south Kashmir’s Pahalgam hill station, minus 8.2 degrees in north Kashmir’s Gulmarg ski resort, minus 5.2 degrees in Qazigund town, minus 3.5 degrees in Kupwara town and minus 4.6 degrees in Kokernag town,” he said.
“Leh town in Ladakh region was the coldest at minus 16 degrees while Kargil town had minus 15 degrees,” he added.
The official said cold wave conditions are likely to continue for another four days.
“Due to polar winds blowing in, the cold wave conditions are likely to continue for another three to four days in the valley and the Ladakh region,” he said.
Most of the lakes and water bodies in the valley were frozen at the margins in the morning, making boating and rowing difficult for the fishermen and Shikara operators.
- Cold keeps grip on north India, fog affects 51 trains (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Kashmir cold wave continues - Dec 03, 2011
- Kargil freezes at minus 25, lowest of the season - Jan 30, 2012
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011
- Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh coldest at minus 22 - Jan 23, 2012
- Srinagar freezes for 6th day, record broken - Jan 13, 2012
- Cold spell continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Cold wave intensifies in Kashmir and Ladakh - Jan 21, 2012
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Cold spell continues in Kashmir - Dec 24, 2011
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Season's lowest in Srinagar, Leh freezes at minus 16 - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: cold wave, fishermen, freezing point, gulmarg ski resort, kashmir, kashmir valley, ladakh region, lotus, margins, meteorological office, night temperature, night temperatures, north kashmir, office director, pahalgam, polar winds, sonam, south kashmir, water bodies, wave conditions