Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer’s body recovered, six missing (Lead)January 24th, 2012 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 24 (IANS) The body of a Border Security Force (BSF) officer buried under an avalanche in north Kashmir was recovered Tuesday. Five army men and another border guard are still missing.
“The body of the BSF sub-inspector, buried under an avalanche along with another BSF and five army men in the morning, has been recovered during the rescue operation which is still on,” a police officer said here.
The personnel were buried under the avalanche in Keran sector of the Line of Control (LOC) in Kupwara district. “The avalanche struck a road clearing party near one of our posts at 7.20 a.m.,” Lt. Col. J.S. Brar, spokesperson of the army’s Srinagar-based 15th Corps, told IANS.
“A rescue operation, which was immediately started, is still on,” he added.
The local disaster management cell has regularly been issuing avalanche warnings in the higher reaches of the Kashmir Valley following the recent heavy snowfall. The areas include Machil, Gurez, Keran, Karnah, Chowkibal and Uri.
People living in these areas have been advised not to move out of their homes but keep on removing accumulated snow from the rooftops.
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Avalanches kill 12 army personnel in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Eleven army soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning in Valley - Feb 15, 2011
- Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- Nine army troopers killed in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 23, 2012
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued for Kashmir's higher reaches - Feb 20, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Three terrorists killed, gunfight on in Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: army men, avalanche warnings, border guard, border security force, brar, bsf, disaster management, heavy snowfall, jan 24, kashmir, kashmir valley, loc, lt, management cell, north kashmir, police officer, reaches, rooftops, spokesperson, uri