Kashmir approves disaster management policyFebruary 1st, 2012 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 1 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir State Disaster Management Authority (SDMA) Wednesday approved a three-tier draft disaster management policy for the state “which is vulnerable to natural calamities”.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah presided over the SDMA meeting that laid importance on professional responses to preparedness, prediction and prevention of disasters, an official statement said.
Kashmir is prone to natural calamities like earthquakes, floods, snow-storms, landslides, cloudbursts and droughts, said the statement.
Abdullah said there was a need for a fool-proof mechanism to rescue, provide relief and rehabilitate disaster-hit people.
He asked the authorities to strengthen operational functionaries at all levels, enhance capacity building and educate people about the importance of disaster management.
Abdullah said: “We need a comprehensive strategy with befitting command and control to be in place to face any exigency befittingly and in a coordinated manner.”
The meeting followed heavy snow and rains that have triggered landslides and avalanches, cut off many areas, stranded hundreds and caused shortages of essential supplies.
- Avalanche warning issued for Kashmir's higher reaches - Feb 20, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Through mountain of snow, they open road to Lahaul (Feature with image) - Apr 27, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning in Valley - Feb 15, 2011
- Avalanches in northeastern Afghanistan kill 44 - Mar 07, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- PM, Sonia assure Uttarakhand all help (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- 7,844 dead or missing in China disasters in 2010 - Jan 15, 2011
- Assam's flood, landslide toll rises to 124 - Jul 08, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Snow likely in Kashmir Valley, avalanche alert sounded - Feb 06, 2011
- Windstorm declared a natural calamity: Omar - Mar 22, 2012
- Court questions Himachal on calamity handling readiness - Jul 27, 2011
- Nine civilians rescued alive from Sonamarg avalanche - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: authorities, capacity building, chief minister, disasters, droughts, earthquakes, floods, fool proof, heavy snow, importance of disaster management, kashmir, landslides, management authority, management policy, natural calamities, preparedness, professional responses, sdma, snow storms, state disaster