Kashi Vishwanath temple security to be beefed upMarch 31st, 2011 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 31 (IANS) Security in and around the historic Kashi Vishwanath temple in Varanasi would be beefed up.
A decision to this effect was taken after an on-the-spot review carried out by Additional Director General of Police K.L. Meena Thursday.
According to Varanasi Deputy Inspector General of Police Lalji Shukla, “Five watch-towers will be erected around the temple complex and 20 close-circuit televisions will be installed at strategic points in and around the premises as a part of the exercise.”
The ancient Varanasi temple has been on the terrorist hit list, particularly after the demolition of the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya in December 1992. Since then, security of the entire area has been upgraded several times.
The temple shares a wall with the 17th century Gyanvapi mosque, built by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- 22 Uttar Pradesh areas under air surveillance - Sep 30, 2010
- Babri demolition anniversary low-key in Ayodhya-Faizabad - Dec 06, 2011
- Terror threat to Taj Mahal, Palace on Wheels: Intelligence Bureau - Dec 12, 2010
- Devotees attack authorities for missing silver slipper - Jul 28, 2011
- Babri demolition anniversary passes off peacefully (Roundup) - Dec 06, 2010
- Why didn't Tulsidas mention Ram temple demolition? - Oct 04, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh seeks security ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Aug 31, 2010
- Shutdown in parts of Hyderabad on Babri anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- RAW officer to depose in Babri case Friday - Mar 25, 2010
- Ayodhya dispute: claims and counter-claims - Sep 29, 2010
- Kalyan Singh to launch Ram temple movement - Sep 07, 2010
- Security beefed up in Orissa - Sep 23, 2010
- Rajnath Singh slams Congress ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 18, 2010
- Ayodhya verdict: Okay to Ram temple, land to Muslims too (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2010
Tags: 17th century, ayodhya, babri masjid, circuit televisions, demolition, deputy inspector general, director general, emperor aurangzeb, exercise, hit list, kashi vishwanath temple, meena, mosque, premises, several times, strategic points, varanasi