Kasab’s confession victory for police, prosecution, says ChavanJuly 20th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 20 (IANS) Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab confessing to his role in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks is “a victory for the police and the prosecution”, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said here Monday.
Chavan said the judicial process against Kasab be expedited and the court award him maximum punishment for his crimes following his confession.
The chief minister, while speaking to reporters, also lauded Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam, Mumbai Police and the Crime Branch for their efforts in meticulously investigating the terror attacks, finally resulting in Kasab’s confession.
In a dramatic twist to the ongoing trial, Kasab suddenly confessed in the court to his involvement in the 26/11 terror attacks in this financial capital. He admitted he is a Pakistani national and also recounted in full detail how he and his nine associates - all killed by the police during the 60-hour long combined security operations - carried out the terror mayhem.
He also revealed before the stunned courtroom names of his Pakistani handlers, including Abu Hamza, Abu Jindal, Abu Kafa and Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who saw them off when they boarded a ship at Karachi.
Last month, the Special Court had issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 27 of the 35 accused in the 11,500-plus page charge sheet filed by Mumbai Police in the case.
It named several people, including Lakhvi - whom Kasab described as the “mastermind”.
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Kasab confession: special court restricts media, adjourns case - Jul 21, 2009
- Kasab confesses to his role in 26/11 terror attacks (Lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- 26/11: Pak judicial panel to begin India visit Wednesday - Mar 13, 2012
- 26/11: Pakistani judicial panel begins visit to India (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- 26/11 court issues warrants against 22 Pakistanis - Jun 23, 2009
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab - Jun 28, 2012
- 26/11 court orders arrests of 22 Pakistanis including JuD chief (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
Tags: abu hamza, ajmal, amir, ashok, chief minister, combined security, confession, crime branch, dramatic twist, full detail, jindal, kafa, kasab, maximum punishment, mumbai police, public prosecutor, rehman, security operations, terror attacks, zaki