Kasab trial adjourned till May 2; accused wants perfumes, toothpasteApril 29th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 29 (IANS) A special court here Wednesday adjourned ruling on the medical reports pertaining to the age of Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab till May 2 (Saturday). The accused has also asked the court for certain facilities like an Urdu newspaper, perfumes and toothpaste to be provided to him in prison.
The trial of Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive after the 26/11 attack on Mumbai, was adjourned till May 2 by Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani.
On Wednesday morning, Kasab’s lawyer S.G. Abbas Kazmi summoned two medicos as witnesses to give their opinion in the matter of Kasab’s age based on a dental examination and a bone test.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that the testimony of the two medicos - S. Nandankar of Sir J.J. Hospital and Yogita Devkar of Nair Hospital - has proved that Kasab’s age could be between 20-25 years at the time of the Mumbai terror attacks, last Nov 26.
“This proves our contention that the age (21 years) given by Kasab on three different occasions before different authorities was correct,” Nikam pointed out.
In a related development, Kasab moved an application before the special court seeking certain facilities during his stay in jail.
He has asked that he be allowed to read newspapers and named Urdu Times, perfumes, toothpaste and permission to walk in the courtyard of Arthur Road Central Jail, where he is lodged.
“The jail courtyard is secured from all sides. If I continue to remain in this cell, I will lose my mental balance,” he pleaded through his lawyer.
Kasab has also sought that all his personal belongings and money confiscated after his arrest, should be deposited in the jail accounts in his name.
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Judgement Day for 26/11 terrorist (Lead) - May 02, 2010
- Mumbai terrorist's fate to be sealed Monday - May 02, 2010
- Kasab is over 20 years old - medical examiners tell court - Apr 28, 2009
- Kasab appeals against death sentence - Jun 04, 2010
- Kasab's lawyer again threatens to quit - May 15, 2009
- 'Hang me, please', Kasab tells court - Jul 22, 2009
- Kasab over 20, doctors tell court trying Mumbai attacker (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- Full of drama, ups and downs, Kasab trial ends - Mar 31, 2010
- Kasab's admissions not a confession: lawyer Kazmi - Jul 21, 2009
- 'Hang me', says Kasab after making surprise guilty plea (Lead) - Jul 22, 2009
- Mumbai attacks: Plea to examine US witnesses via video-conference - Jul 29, 2009
- First phase of Mumbai terror attacks end (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010