Kasab is over 20 years old - medical examiners tell courtApril 28th, 2009 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 28 (IANS) Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive after the 26/11 attack on Mumbai, is over 20, according to a medical report submitted here Tuesday before the Special Court hearing the terror attacks trial.
Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani, who had ordered the medical test last Friday to determine Kasab’s age, will give his ruling on the matter Wednesday, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told reporters after Tuesday’s hearing.
The order to carry out the medical test had come after Kasab claimed in court that he was below 18 and should be tried in a court meant for juveniles.
The medical report submitted in court Tuesday is based on two separate tests conducted at Mumbai’s Sir J.J. Hospital. Kasab underwent a dental and bone test to determine his age.
The tests have revealed that Kasab was not a minor - as claimed earlier through his lawyer S.G. Abbas Kazmi - at the time of the Nov 26, 2008 attacks.
Apart from the medical test, two witnesses testified in court in the matter Tuesday. Swati Sathe, superintendent of the Arthur Rd central jail where Kasab is being kept, told the judge that at the time of his admission, Kasab had told her he was 21 years old.
The doctor at Mumbai’s Nair hospital who had treated Kasab on Nov 27 last year also told the court that at that time, Kasab had said he was 21 years old. The doctor was identified only as Raghavan.
In view of the confusion created by Kasab’s claims, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam had moved an application last week seeking directions from Special Judge Tahilyani to medically verify the age of the accused.
Accepting the application, the Special Judge had ordered that the medical reports should be submitted Tuesday.
Nikam had told the court Kasab had given his age as 21 on three different occasions - once to the police and jail authorities, once to the doctor who examined him and again to the magistrate before whom he recorded his confession statement.
Moreover, Nikam said that the prosecution had other evidences to prove that Kasab was not a minor.
Terming the matter as a ‘delay tactic’, he had sought the court’s directions on settling Kasab’s age issue finally since the prosecution wanted to frame the charges against Kasab.
- Kasab over 20, doctors tell court trying Mumbai attacker (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- 26/11 trial: Court orders medical examination to determine Kasab's age - Apr 24, 2009
- 26/11 case: Bombay High Court dismisses Kasab's juvenile plea - Dec 14, 2010
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Kasab suffering from stomach ulcers - Jun 25, 2009
- Death for Kasab is victory of justice, says Ujjwal Nikam - Feb 21, 2011
- Pakistani terrorist Kasab is an adult, rules court (Lead) - May 02, 2009
- First phase of Mumbai terror attacks end (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Mumbai Special Court to pronounce Kasab sentence today - May 06, 2010
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- High court rejects Kasab plea to meet lawyers in isolation - Sep 29, 2010
- Bombay HC gets footage of Kasab attacking a jail official - Sep 28, 2010
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Mumbai court rules that Kasab is not a minor as per medical reports - Apr 28, 2009