Kasab asks to meet Waghmare, terror trial to begin April 15 (Lead)April 6th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 6 (IANS) Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist captured alive in the 26/11 attack, Monday expressed a desire to meet his advocate Anjali Waghmare as the special court set April 15 for beginning the trial into the terror attacks case.
Kasab, appearing in video-conference before the special court, expressed his desire to meet Waghmare, a government lawyer appointed by Special Judge Tahilyani last week to defend the Pakistani terrorist.
Accepting his request, the court directed Swati Sathe, superintendent of the Arthur Road Central Jail, where Kasab is housed, to fix a suitable date and time when Kasab and Waghmare could meet.
Judge Tahilyani also directed Swati to collect a copy of the charge-sheet from Kasab and bring it to the special court on April 8 so that it could be handed over to Waghmare.
The trial into the Nov 26-29, 2008, Mumbai carnage will be conducted in the high-security Arthur Road Jail in south Mumbai where Kasab and two other Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) activists are held in detention.
In a related development, co-accused Faheem Ansari told the court that the police were pressurizing his family members to seek an advocate from the government’s Legal Aid Cell. He also sought a month’s time from the special court to finalise his lawyer.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujwal Nikam said the date of the trial has been rescheduled since the work on setting up the special court inside the jail premises was not yet complete.
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Man in egg cell who costs India high - Nov 25, 2010
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- High court to decide on Kasab death sentence Feb 21 (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- 26/11 trial: Court orders medical examination to determine Kasab's age - Apr 24, 2009
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- Kasab attacked security guard in jail, court told - Sep 28, 2010
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Kasab is over 20 years old - medical examiners tell court - Apr 28, 2009
- High court rejects Kasab plea to meet lawyers in isolation - Sep 29, 2010
- Kasab death penalty: Arguments in high court begin Oct 18 - Oct 07, 2010
- Kasab weak, weary ahead of 26/11 verdict - Feb 20, 2011
- Bombay HC gets footage of Kasab attacking a jail official - Sep 28, 2010