Karzai to visit India (Lead)July 31st, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) Afghan President Hamid Karzai will pay a state visit to India Aug 4 on his way home from a South Asian summit in Sri Lanka, it was announced here Thursday. Accompanying the president during the daylong trip will be Foreign Affairs Minister Rangin Dadfar Spanta and the National Security Advisor.
President Pratibha Patil will host a banquet for her counterpart. Karzai will then hold talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, external affairs ministry spokesperson Navtej Sarna told reporters.
Sarna gave no details, but Karzai and Manmohan Singh are expected to discuss bilateral and other issues.
Among those who will call on him include Vice President Hamid Ansari, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Leader of the Opposition L.K. Advani.
Karzai and Manmohan Singh will be among leaders from eight countries who will attend the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) summit in Colombo Aug 2-3.
Karzai’s trip comes amid mounting worries in both India and Afghanistan about the growing activities of the Taliban militia, which many feel continues to enjoy the backing of the Pakistani intelligence establishment.
Karzai had strongly condemned the July 7 devastating suicide bomb attack on the Indian embassy in Kabul that killed 44 people. Barring four Indians, all others were Afghans. It was the first attack on an Indian mission anywhere in the world.
Afghan officials implicitly blamed Pakistan for the bombing.
- Pakistan can't dictate ties with India: Afghan NSA - Sep 01, 2010
- Not talking to Haqqanis, our red lines are clear: Afghan NSA - Aug 31, 2010
- Afghanistan asks Pakistan to shut terror sanctuaries (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- Iran funding Afghan religious-political leaders, Taliban militants: WikiLeaks - Dec 03, 2010
- As Pakistan looms, PM returns from Afghanistan with renewed ties (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Manmohan to meet Karzai Monday, Taliban worry tops agenda - Apr 25, 2010
- India to convey concerns about Taliban to Afghanistan - Aug 23, 2010
- Krishna meets Afghan President Karzai - Jul 19, 2010
- Nawaz Sharif "author of Islamic radicalism" in Afghanistan: Spanta - Dec 04, 2010
- Afghanistan Foreign Minister Zalmay Rassoul arrives in New Delhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Karzai to discuss Indian mission bombing during visit - Aug 03, 2008
- PM leaves for SAARC summit, to push for free trade - Nov 09, 2011
- Karzai to visit India from Monday - Apr 24, 2010
- Afghanistan foreign minister arrives in New Delhi - Apr 25, 2010
- India, Afghanistan set up partnership council, to combat terror - Jul 28, 2009