Karzai thanks India for help in reconstructionOctober 4th, 2011 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 4 (IANS) Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai thanked India Tuesday for helping in reconstruction and rehabilitation of his country in the past 10 years.
Thanking India for helping in the construction of its new parliament building last year, Karzai said: “The signing of strategic partnership agreement between the two nations is significant.”
Karzai, who is on a two-day visit to India, also thanked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for signing important memorandums of understanding in the field of minerals, oils and gas.
He specially mentioned that the youth of Afghanistan are happy with India, which has granted 2,000 scholarships to them for the next five years.
“We hope India will add to this contribution,” Karzai told reporters at a joint press briefing along with Manmohan Singh.
He expressed hope for similar cooperation with other countries of the region, and said Afghanistan would work closely with India for the region’s prosperity.
Karzai also thanked India for sending Law Minister Salman Khurshid as special envoy to condole the recent assassination of former Afghanistan president Burhanuddin Rabbani.
- Karzai makes implicit criticism of Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- Pakistan plays down Afghan-India strategic pact - Oct 06, 2011
- Gilani condoles Rabbani's killing - Sep 22, 2011
- Pact with India not to hit twin brother Pakistan: Karzai - Oct 05, 2011
- With Pakistan in mind, Delhi and Kabul seal strategic pact - Oct 05, 2011
- PM condemns Afghan leader Rabbani's 'senseless' killing - Sep 21, 2011
- Krishna heading to Istanbul for Afghan conference - Oct 31, 2011
- Afghanistan to support 'brother Pakistan' if US or India attacked: Karzai - Oct 22, 2011
- Rabbani's killing reminder of dangers to Afghan peace: Manmohan - Sep 24, 2011
- US AfPak envoy backs Indian investment in Afghanistan, strategic pact - Oct 12, 2011
- Pakistan media note Delhi-Kabul strategic links - Oct 05, 2011
- India, Afghanistan to jointly combat terror (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Karzai in India next week, focus on ISI's role - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,