Karunanidhi’s elder son Azhagiri named to key party postJanuary 13th, 2009 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 13 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s elder son M.K. Azhagiri has been appointed the ruling DMK’s organisational secretary for the sprawling south zone of the state, the party announced here Tuesday. DMK general secretary and state Finance Minister K. Anbazhagan made the announcement a day after party president Karunanidhi said Azhagiri would be “given an appropriate post” after party nominee Latha Adhiyaman registered a big victory in the Tirumangalam assembly by-election.
“Azhagiri has served the party for long and his appointment is bound to galvanise us in the South during the ensuing parliamentary elections. Further, our general secretary has powers to appoint deserving persons to his secretariat,” DMK organisation secretary and spokesman T.K.S. Elangovan told IANS.
DMK insiders told IANS that the post, however, fell short of Azhagiri’s expectations.
“Azhagiri expected to be made deputy general secretary - a post held by (sibling) Stalin earlier. However, he is happy that official recognition has come to him at last,” a source said.
Azhagiri’s younger brother and Local Administration Minister M.K. Stalin was elected the treasurer during the recently conducted internal party polls.
Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi is a member of the Rajya Sabha and grand-nephew Dayanidhi Maran is a Lok Sabha member and a former central minister.
Key office-bearers of the DMK - president, general secretary and treasurer - are elected every two years.
- DMK to take legal action in 2G spectrum case - Apr 27, 2011
- DMK supports Raja, says arrest doesn't make him guilty (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Fourth Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Third Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- DMK meet ends; silence on cabinet slots, Congress tie-up (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- DMK's general council meeting Feb 3 - Jan 09, 2012
- Eye on polls, DMK top brass begin stock-taking - Oct 20, 2010
- DMK backs Raja but remains wedded to Congress (Roundup) - Feb 03, 2011
- Stalin complains of discomfort, in hospital - Dec 23, 2011
- Stalin complains of uneasiness, undergoes angiogram (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Karunanidhi again hints at his retirement - Jan 24, 2011
- Don't play with people's lives over dam: Stalin to Kerala - Dec 12, 2011
- Mamata, Karunanidhi to skip UPA dinner - May 22, 2012
- Stalin, 40,000 protesting DMK activists detained (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Karunanidhi, Jayalalithaa lead - May 13, 2011