Karunanidhi inspects relief materials bound for Sri LankaNovember 6th, 2008 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 6 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi Thursday inspected 2,000 tonnes of relief material being sent for the Tamil minority in the war-torn northern part of Sri Lanka.International Red Crss official Thomas Reese, and I.M. Pandey, an official of India’s external affairs ministry, joined Karunanidhi during the inspection.
“The goods are in excellent condition and to international standards. Our organisation in Sri Lanka will help in its distribution after these are received in Colombo by the Indian high commissioner shortly,” Reese told reporters in the evening.
The relief materials include toiletries, laundry soaps and stitched garments for men and women, as well as textiles and bedspreads, according an official communiqué.
Over 80,000 Tamils will receive the relief material, the government press statement added. No date has been fixed to ship the material.
- India to finance major harbour in Sri Lanka (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- India funds railway line in Sri Lanka - Nov 21, 2011
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- DMK calls meeting on Sri Lanka resolution - Mar 17, 2012
- Rs.2,100 crore sanctioned for textiles parks - Oct 27, 2011
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Aug 12 meet to focus on welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils' - Jul 16, 2012
- China sends emergency aid to Libya - Aug 18, 2011
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012