Karunanidhi has asked police to arrest me: JayalalithaOctober 26th, 2008 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 26 (IANS) Leader of the opposition and All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam general secretary J. Jayalalitha Sunday evening alleged that Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi has asked the police officials to arrest her “under some pretext or other”.”Stung by my demanding the arrest of Karunanidhi and the dismissal of his government for anti-national crimes for which Marumalarchi DMK leaders Vaiko and M. Kannappan were arrested, the chief minister has exhorted reluctant police officials to immediately arrest me under some pretext or other. I have been informed about this by officials,” Jayalalitha said in a statement.
“Since MDMK leaders have been arrested after being accused of anti-national acts of supporting the banned Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, for circulating elegies for the deaths of LTTE leaders Tamilselvan and Anton Balasingham using government machinery, Karunanidhi too deserves to be arrested,” Jayalalitha said.
“As I demanded that this be done by the central government after dismissing the minority DMK regime due to the impossibility of the state police detaining a chief minister, Karunanidhi is planning this vengeful action against me,” Jayalalitha added.
She also demanded, in her statement, the arrest of film personalities Ramanarayanan, director Bharti Raja and Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi leader Thol Thirumavalavan for their anti-national statements in praise of LTTE leader Prabhakaran.
The DMK is yet to react to this claim.
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Ambedkar cartoon - May 11, 2012
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- All-party delegation to meet visiting Sri Lankan President Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Ambedkar cartoon rocks parliament (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Government apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- DMK pulls out of UPA government, to provide issue-based support - Mar 05, 2011
- Tamil Nadu parties demand cartoon's removal from textbook (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's regional party demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Jul 29, 2009
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Third Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Fourth lead) - May 11, 2012
- VCK activists protest against killings of fishermen by Lankan Navy - Jul 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu government denies arrest claim by Jayalalitha - Oct 27, 2008