Karunanidhi gets notice over ‘allegations’ against JayalalithaNovember 19th, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 19 (IANS) A legal notice has been forwarded to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, seeking an unconditional apology for making “false allegations” against leader of opposition J. Jayalalitha over the students clash at the law college here last week, an AIADMK lawyer said Wednesday.”Karunanidhi should tender an unconditional apology for indicating the hand of the leader of opposition in the clashes in the Ambedkar Law College campus last week or be sued for Rs.1 crore (Rs.10 million) to be paid for defaming Jayalalitha,” party lawyer Navaneethakrishnan told reporters.
The two leaders have been sparring with each other through statements on the issue since early this week.
While Karunanidhi said the statement was made “as a mere aside during a chat with journalists”, Jayalalitha took the matter seriously and threatened the chief minister with legal action.
On Nov 12, students of the law college had allegedly fought over the contents of an invitation for a political event. They attacked each other with sticks and iron rods.
Eyewitnesses said police officials remained mute spectators and failed to control the violence in which three students were injured.
The Tamil Nadu government Nov 13 suspended nine policemen and the college principal for failing to control the violent clash between students, and announced a probe into the incident by a retired Madras High Court judge.
Students of law colleges across the state held demonstrations and pelted stones on educational institutions to protest alleged police inaction last Wednesday.
- Apex court asks for report on erring cops - Feb 25, 2011
- Karunanidhi will be jailed soon: Subramanian Swamy - Feb 09, 2011
- Court seeks report on Chennai law college violence - Nov 20, 2008
- Maran demands Rs.10 crore damages from paper - Jun 03, 2011
- Law college students protest police inaction, court asks for report (Lead) - Nov 13, 2008
- Chennai law college fracas: police commissioner transferred (Second Lead) - Nov 13, 2008
- Jaya-Karunanidhi war of words reaches crescendo - Nov 19, 2008
- Kerala scheming to convert Tamil Nadu into a desert: Karunanidhi - Dec 12, 2011
- Forget and forgive Jayaram's comments, says Karunanidhi - Feb 06, 2010
- Jayalalithaa has no right to talk of law and order: DMK - Apr 03, 2011
- Court pleas, threats, protests to save Rajiv's killers (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Lawyers show black flags to Karunanidhi - Apr 25, 2010
- Dravidian land all set for battle for power (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 11, 2011
- Probe ordered into violent clash between Chennai law students - Nov 13, 2008