Karun qualifies 21st for German GPJuly 24th, 2011 - 12:59 am ICT by IANS
Nurbugring, July 23 (IANS) India’s Karun Chandhok, returning to racing after nearly a year, finished 21st in his Team Lotus car in the qualifying session of the Formula One German Grand Prix, here on Saturday.
The 27-year old Chandhok replaced Jarno Trulli who gave up his seat for this weekend’s race. Team-mate Heikki Kovalainen qualified 19th for Sunday’s race.
In a statement, Chandhok said: “I’m pleased with how qualifying went today. (Team Principal) Tony (Fernandes) had said to me that if I could get within a second of Heikki, he’d be proud, and I finished about 0.8 off him, so that’s a goal achieved.
“One of the challenges today has been finding out how much grip there is on the soft tyres on low fuel and that was always going to be a pretty steep learning curve in the qualifiers, but my times have been coming down all weekend, so I’m getting there.
“As I’ve been saying, the last couple of days have been about learning the car, the tyres and how to get the best out of the DRS system, so to get as close as I reasonably could expect to my teammate is pretty good progress.”
- Painful to watch race from sidelines: Karun Chandhok - Oct 25, 2011
- Karun to race in German Grand Prix as Trulli steps aside - Jul 21, 2011
- Chandhok to be reserve driver for Team Lotus - Mar 22, 2011
- Sixth for Force India; Karun 20th in German Grand Prix - Jul 24, 2011
- Caterham sign Petrov for 2012 F1 season - Feb 17, 2012
- Motorsports: Karun, team fourth in Sao Paulo practice - Sep 14, 2012
- Karun's hopes of Indian GP still hang in balance - Oct 23, 2011
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Buddh circuit gets a thumbs-up but dust remains a concern - Oct 28, 2011
- Motorsport: Karun, team finish sixth at Le Mans - Jun 17, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
- We must gain ground on rivals, says Petrov - Jun 29, 2012
- Belgian Grand Prix: Force India disappoint, Vettel secures pole - Aug 27, 2011
- Lotus confirms Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen as drivers - Dec 14, 2009
Tags: challenges, couple of days, drs system, formula one, german gp, german grand prix, India, jarno trulli, lotus, lotus car, nurbugring, steep learning curve, team lotus, team mate, team principal, teammate, tony fernandes, tyres